I decided I kinda missed it.
So I'm back. Back to write about whatever I want to write about whenever I want to write about. Feel free to join the fun. Just keep it clean and respectful.
I won't try to catch you up (in case you're wondering) on the past few months since I tried to quit. Obviously there were a lot of things I could have posted about -- personal, political, and otherwise. But I think it would be best if we just picked it up from here and moved on.
The only "catching up" I'll do (for now) is a brief summary of my Christmas break:
1) Open presents
2) Puke
3) Repeat Step 2
4) Repeat Steps 2 and 3 until empty
5) Repeat Step 2
6) Recover
Yeah, it was pretty much a good time. :rollseyes:
Then, to pour salty lemon juice in the wound, as I struggled to regain my strength, I received the following email from not one but two closefriendsfamilymembersassociates who, as all good closefriendsfamilymembersassociates do, forwarded it without verifying its authenticity:
Pastor Removal from Television
Removal of Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyer, Charles Stanley,
David Jeremiah and other pastors from the airwaves.
An organization has been granted a Federal Hearing on
the same subject by the Federal Communications
Commission (FCC) in Washington , D.C. Their
petition, Number 2493, would ultimately pave the way
to stop the reading of the gospel of our Lord and
Savior, on the airwaves of America . They got
287,000 signatures to back their stand!
If this attempt is successful, all Sunday worship
services being broadcast on the radio or by
television will be stopped. This group is also
campaigning to remove all Christmas programs and
Christmas carols from public schools! You as a
Christian can help!
We are praying for at least 1 million signatures.
This would defeat their effort and show that there
are many Christians alive, well and concerned about
our country. As Christians, we must unite on this.
Please don't take this lightly. We ignored one lady
once and lost prayer in our schools and in offices
across the nation. Please stand up for your religious
freedom and let your voice be heard. Together we can
make a difference in our country while creating an
opportunity for the lost to know the Lord.
Please, if you don't wish to participate, return this
email to whoever sent it to you so they can at least
keep this email going or forward it to some one you
know who will wish to participate.
Dr. Dobson is going on CNBC to urge every Christian to
get involved. I hope you will sign and forward to all
your family and friends. Please press forward, CLEAN
UP THE MESSAGE, and forward this to everyone you
think should read this.
Now, please sign your name at the bottom (you can only
add your name after you have pressed 'Forward' or you
have copied and pasted the text). Don't delete any
other names, just go to the next number and type your
name. Please do not sign jointly, such as Mr. & Mrs.,
each person should sign his/her own name. Please
defeat this organization and keep the light of our
freedom of religion.
Now, look, I'm not trying to embarrass the closefriendsfamilymembersassociates in question. They had the best of motives and intentions. But it only takes a few seconds to verify these things before you pass them on. It took me literally less than 15 seconds to find out that this was a hoax.
The process is simple: use your mouse to highlight a one- or two-sentence passage from the email, copy the passage, and past the passage into your favorite search engine. If you see snopes.com near the top of the results, that's a good sign that what you have on your hands is not a legitimate email, especially if you click on the link and the word "FALSE" appears at the top of the page in big bold letters, as it did with this particular email.
Turns out that this hoax has been floating around in one form or another since 1975!
What possesses otherwise intelligent people to blindly beleive anything that shows up in their inbox, especially when the truth is so easy to find? Do they realize that when they do that, it distracts from issues of genuine significance?
Anyway, that's all I've got for now. Enjoy.

7 comments:
Glad to have ya back!
I got the same hoax forwarded from a closefamilymemberassociate - one of your closefamilymemberassociates was in the distribution list so I'm guessing that's how you eventually got it.
*eyeroll*
A hoax hallmark is the glaring absence of any period-sensitive information (like a date!). I've tried to educate my closefamilymemberassociate on IDing this garbage, including the whole google routine, buy my efforts are obviously impotent. *sigh*
Have a good one.
Funny thing is, my closefamilymemberassociate is otherwise intelligent and capable, yet falls for this class of scam over and over again. On the plus side, they haven't developed a taste for cynicism.
It's because people lack critical thinking skills.
They're propaganda-gobbling sheep. They have very little idea as to how the world really works so they just go around looking for someone to follow.
Most people believe all kinds of balderdash, it's why this country is in the sad shape that it's in.
Oh, yeah, welcome back John!
Welcome back, Johnny-boy!!!
"Most people believe all kinds of balderdash, it's why this country is in the sad shape that it's in."
Trying....not....to...bite...Ahhgg!
Ok. I'm good.
The urge is gone.
Carry on.
Uhhh, no you shouldn't bite, because the idiot you guys from Ohio put in office is still there.
I'm still waiting for an admission of guilt and an apology from the lot of you...
Disclaimer:
the closefamilymemberassociate was NOT me. :)
Post a Comment