Thursday, January 18, 2007

Ooooo, shiny things!

It’s official. I need professional help.

I’ve always been a little skeptical about Attention Deficit Disorder. When it first started to be in the news several years back, it just sounded made-up to me. But over the years I have heard people who I respect verify that it is a very real disorder. At the very least it is waaaay over-diagnosed and there are a lot of kids out there doped up on Ritalin or whatever that shouldn’t be.

I’ve always been a bit of a daydreamer and have a fairly short attention span, even though I never watched TV until I was in the fourth grade – and even then was very limited in my hours in front of the tube – and I never played video games regularly until I moved out of my parents’ house when I was 20. I really never gave it much thought. It really didn’t seem to be a problem.

But I recently read an article in a magazine for law students about how many law students live with A.D.D. or other similar disorders their whole lives and don’t realize it until they get to law school. It is there that the intense daily grind brings the problem to the fore. I began to wonder if it didn’t have some connection to my first semester struggles with focus.

Out of sheer morbid curiosity I decided to do a little research. I found a Web site for Adult A.D.D. that had a six-question prescreening quiz (pdf file). Out of a maximum of 24 points, I scored an 18. I showed it to my wife and she scoffed at a couple of my answers. My adjusted score was a 20 out of 24. At the bottom of the quiz it said that if you scored higher than 11, you should seek help.

But the clincher came today when I opened the microwave to find a sandwich I had warmed up for lunch.

Two days ago.

I am now the proud owner of a sesame-seed hockey puck.

All of which raises one question: “How many law students with A.D.D. does it take to change a light bulb?”

“Hey let’s ride bikes!”

13 comments:

Sharla said...

That is really funny! LOL.








Now get to work.

Jeshanah said...

I must have an extreme case of A.D.D. because I have left toast in the toaster more times than I can remember. I have also had times where I was walking to go do something and partway there I forgot what it was, and had to retrace my steps to find out what I was doing. I either have A.D.D. or I'm officially insane. Or, I could do a self diagnosis and make up another reason for my actions... I'm a genius who doesn't have time to concern myself with the little, everyday, mundane details.







Everyone of us could be diagnosed with A.D.D., because we all have moments where we can't concentrate on one thing. It's not A.D.D., it's called being 'human'.

Israel said...

One of my favorite quotes from HBO's "The Sopranos" had a couple of crusty old mafiosos discussing why someone's kid had dropped out of college.

One asks:

"Doesn't he have a learning disability or something?"

And the other says:

"Well I guess stupidity is a learning diability."

--------------------

So where are the telethons for stupidity?

This horrible learning disability affects milllions, including the President and the majority of the Republican Party.

Where's Jerry Lewis when you really need him?

Israel said...

CORRECTION:

"Doesn't he have a learning disability or something?"

And the other says:

"Well I guess stupidity is a learning disability."

CUZ I DON'T WANNA CONFUSE ANYONE...

Israel said...

I started to take the survey, but I got distracted and forgot to finish it.




No, not really, I scored a 7.

As I suspected, you are one sick puppy (I have a BA in Journalism and Psychology, so I know everything.)

Someone bring out a giraffe & elephant tranquilizer rifle and shoot John in the neck.

And dude is big, so make sure he doesn't fall on you.

Jeshanah said...

Hahaha, I just took the quiz and scored 13, so I guess I have ADHD, too. (I would have shared my results sooner, but I didn't notice that there was a quiz on John's post. How's THAT for proof?!!) Rolf at the irony... now THAT's funny!! =)

Hully said...

Shan, it says on the quiz that "A score of 11 points or higher indicates that [your symptoms
may be consistent with Adult ADHD.
It may be beneficial for
you to talk with your healthcare provider about an evaluation." It's a starting point, not a diagnosis. A 13 doesn't mean you have ADD, just that you might want to think about seeing a doctor if it is causing you problems. But the fact that I scored four on nearly every question and that these symptoms are making life difficult tells me I should at least get checked.

Hully said...

Did you know that ADD is also a common cause of depression? The struggle of living in a constant mental whirlwind grinds a person down and they wonder, "What is wrong with me?" And did you know I spent part of last semester trying to fight off constant thoughts of suicide because I couldn't live up to anyone's expectations? I joked about ADD and the microwaved sandwich as a coping mechanism, I guess. But I am tired. Tired of constantly fighting just to stay focused, just to stay on task. Tired of being called lazy. Tired of falling short of expectations. In the times when I could harness all my strength and complete a task, it left me completely mentally drained to where all I could think about was putting the barrel of a .45 in my mouth. I thank God for a family who loves me because I would never have made it this far on my own. But I am not going through what I went through last semester again. Nothing is worth that.

Israel said...

Suicide?

Is living with your mother-in-law really that bad?

Seriously, I doubt anything is wrong with you.

The depression and all the crazy symptoms you describe are all part and parcel of the first year of law school.

Plus you had all kinds of other wonderful external things to deal with.

I hope the pressure is off now after you got your first semester grades.

Three things can happen:

1) You get straight A's, your confidence increases and you say I can do this with half my brain tied behind my back.

2) You get a B average and you realize OK, I'm, not going to do exceptionally well but I'm pretty good at this.

3) You get straight C's and you realize that the world has not come to an end. You also realize that you will get a lot more C's before your career is over and maybe an "B" of an "A" once in while, but mostly "C's."

4) You flunk out. You didn't because you are still there. Hardly anyone ever flunks out of law school. It is very hard to do. Lots of people quit, but few flunk out.

You know what? It doesn't really matter what you get (aside from flunking out) because you want to practice immigration law.

Law review and straight "A's" don't mean diddly when it comes to practicing or getting a job in immigration law.

gaudy grades are only important iof you wanna work in a huge, souless lawfirm that never lets you do anything interesting for the first ten years and never lets you see your kid(s) and wife and mother-in-law.

Think about this, half of all lawyers graduated in the bottom half of their class. Studies show that success as an attorney after law school has little to do with LSAT scores or grades.

So chin up. You don't have A.D.H.D. or A.D.D. or D.D.D. (Carlos Mencia's term for the learning disability the Sopranos were talking about.)

You have 1-L-D-S, 1st year of law school depressive syndrome and so does everyone else in your class.

The only cure is perspective.

Anonymous said...

umm i gave myself a 3 do you think i didnt score myself hard enough?

Israel said...

Christine scored a nine. Her nickname in the 8th grade was "Hyper-spaz."

When she got to the 12th grade her nickname was "Goofy Number One," and she was known as part of "The Goofy Club" at school.

She was eating at least a quart of ice cream a day at the time. Her diet has since improved and she's calmed down a lot.

Do you eat a lot of sugar?? Drink Cokes??

Israel said...

Dfeinitely go get checked out...

The good thing about having ADD in law school is that you can request accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act because it is definitely a learning disability.

That means more times on test and such.

My dyslexic cousin got his own personal note-taker in class paid for by the school, tutoring and as much time as he wanted on tests, which helped a lot because although he is super smart, I don't think he would have been able to graduate college otherwise.

Unknown said...

RE: comment above ^^

John,

I can totally relate. Sometimes focusing on the task at hand can be an almost insurmountable task...very frustrating and it wears on you. Hang in there; I'll be praying for you.