Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Update


I’m just sitting here in my one free period, the only period of the day when I have my entire classroom to myself.

It’s blissful.

I have class six of the eight periods a day. And because we are such a small school, there isn’t the staff or facilities for study halls. So even when I don’t have class, I usually have anywhere from four to 15 kids in my room for study hall. I even have kids in study hall in my room when I’m teaching class, which is kind of weird until you get used to it.

So far the hardest part has been filling 45 minutes each class, coming up with enough stuff to say. If I run out, I usually just tell them to start on their homework.

Teaching grammar is hard. Teaching writing is easy. My 10th grade English class today was all about reflexive pronouns and other nonsense that I don’t remember from school and that is more information than these kids need. In my entire writing career I have never asked myself, “Is this an appropriate place to use an intensive pronoun?”

No, of course not. That’s ridiculous. Write. Then read it. It either sounds good or it doesn’t. If it doesn’t, change it. Grammar rules are necessary, but going into too much detail can paralyze a writer.

Anywho, I have lesson plans to get ready for tomorrow and soccer practice to coach. Catch you all on the flip side.

14 comments:

Jeshanah said...

Which day was the first day of school this year? I can't remember what you guys said. =)

Israel said...

I never did care for grammar.

Just read a couple hundred well-written books and you'll get a sense for it I say. Nobody cares what kind of pronoun it is as long as it makes sense.

It's all about being able to communicate clearly.

Maybe you should just teach them straight from "Strunk & White."

Israel said...

The Elements of Style ("Strunk & White") is an American English writing style guide. It is one of the most influential and best-known prescriptive treatments of English grammar and usage in the United States. It originally detailed eight elementary rules of usage, ten elementary principles of composition, "a few matters of form," and a list of commonly misused words and expressions. Updated editions of the paperback book are often required reading for American high school and college composition classes.

Or just look it up on Wiki and use that outline. That's all you'll ever need.

Unknown said...

...spoke with a student of yours last evening. S/he likes you a lot and appreciates the levity and enjoyable learning environment you create.

Hully said...

Shan, Monday.

Israel, cool, thanks.

PMB, which one?

Jeshanah said...

I believe that he intentionally did not say the name. Perhaps to avoid a bias from you... ? =)

Hully said...

Ya think? It's not like he'd be divulging any top secret information. Everybody already knows all my students love me.

Unknown said...

We do all love you, Oh captain my captain!

Jeshanah said...

Maybe it's a she and he'd rather not divulge her name at this time and let everyone know of his own bias?!! Perhaps he's a cradle-robber and doesn't want everyone to know it!!!

Oh, how I love a good intrigue!!!

Unknown said...

Apparently Agatha Christie's middle name is Jeshanah.

I never miss an episode of "Improper student/teacher fraternization, she wrote".

Unknown said...

Jeshanah,

That's funny raght thar. Real funny.

Cradle robber eh? Well...the last "date" I had was with Janessa, so ... hmmm.

To dispel any such slanderous gossip from our resident deductress (is that a word?), it was a 'he'.

Jeshanah said...

LoL @ Roger, I wasn't talking about JOHN taking part in any kind of improper student/teacher fraternization!! He's married! (And to my own sister!!)

I was talking about PMB being a possible cradle-robber, and perhaps being interested in someone who is currently in Bible Believers high school! (Not that there is really anything wrong with that, I was just being nosy!! =) It's pretty boring out here, I have to make mischief 2000 miles away just to keep myself entertained...) Pity that it was a boy... ruined all my big plans!!!! =)

Unknown said...

Sorry to dissapoint you, Jeshanah.
Marge Wiley is more my type anyway.

Jeshanah said...

awww, she's such a cutie!