Thursday, April 10, 2008

"Gun control means being able to drop a liberal at 500 yards."

26 comments:

Unknown said...

Hehe.

...kinda like:

Survival Kit for Person A
- .22 LR, first aid, canned food, bottled water, tent, blanket, radio, generator, etc. etc.

Survival Kit for Person B
- .50 BMG, and known location of Person A

Sharla said...

I like it! :)

Israel said...

Lots of guys who are insecure about their "manhood" have a gun fetish because they know that due to their physical and mental limitations the only taste of power they can ever hope to experience will be during their little homoerotic gun fantasies.

These guys are usually repressed, Republicans who enjoy killing innocent animals and shooting trees for no good reason.

They usually have huge gun collections even though they can barely afford the rent on their trailer and the upkeep on their mullets.

Unknown said...

Israel, that's called "gun-owner" baiting...not nice. :-)

Unknown said...

Not negotiable

8-D

Elisabeth (Bauer) Holsapple said...

^^ Haha - PM that's great! :)

Israel - I have to disagree with you about gun-owning men being "insecure about their manhood" Au contrair mon ami, I think it is the other way around. It is often men, such as stated above, that seem to be afraid of and refuse to have much if anything to do w/ guns.

I mean nothing derogatory in the above - I am merely stating what I have noticed.

I have all the respect in the world for those who are not afraid to "carry" (for the right reasons of course).

Israel said...

Hee! Hee!

Coming to the defense of your man...

That's cute!

One of those "real men" you speak of shot his wife and then himself at a busy shopping center near here yesterday.

maybe he should be lauded for having the "courage" to carry a gun...

Unknown said...

Hee Hee on you.
Elisabeth is my sister.
And I'm not doing an Abraham impression.


So, you think the guy killed his wife because he was carrying a gun?

Unknown said...

P.S. and to imply your "real man" example has anything to do with whom she was speaking is ridiculous...and you know it.

Unknown said...

woman holds burglar at gun point until police arrive

Israel said...

Well she may be your sister but if she isn't married now, maybe she foresees a gun-toting yahoo in her future.

Or maybe all the guys she knows are heroic gun-toting types like that nerd in the Constitutional rights poster.

=========

I don't know whats wrong with me lately, but I feel like baiting gun nuts by theorizing about the psycho-social dynamics being a gun nut.

----------

Here's my latest theory, which I just thought up today. Lemme know what you think.

Republicans are so repressed that they are offended by anything remotely sexual.

That's why they are so offended (and think the world is coming to an end) when Janet Jackson's chest pops out for half a second.

Yet they can see 4000 body bags (resulting from the idiocy of a useless war) and instead of being offended they ask for a second-helping.

They are offended by the thought of Clinton having an affair, or of some random homosexuals they don't know who are doing weird things in San Francisco, but they shrug off the acts of a president who sends thousands off to die under false pretenses.

I think sex is essentially a creative act and that's why Republicans find it so offensive. Republicans aren't the least bit offended by death and destruction, because it is the antithesis of creation. It is also what they do best.

I think that's why Republicans are more likely to get in trouble for gun related offenses, like Iran Contra, trading guns for hostages, fighting a stupid war against non-existent weapons of mass destruction, whereas Democrats get in trouble for having sex in the oval office.

Democrats believe in making love not war and Republicans believe in making war not love.

It's the endless struggle between the agents of destruction and the forces of creation.

So we need each other. Republicans keep the world from getting overpopulated whilst non-Republicans have to re-populate it.

I also think that's why Republicans hate Black people and Mexicans so much. They are threatened by our color and potency. They are threatened by the fact that we have better things to do on a Saturday night than clean our guns.

Yep, there i said it. Truth hurts don't it?

------

After a fun day of baiting gun nuts, now I'm getting an irresistible urge to go hunting with Dick Cheney for some reason...

Maybe I'll do some cliff diving later on...

Hully said...

"woman holds burglar at gun point until police arrive"

She must be insecure in her manhood...

Israel said...

Hey you guys know that I have nothing against guns. I do like tweaking you guys though...

Guns are useful tools. Just like hammers. A hammer in the hands of a carpenter is a good thing, but in the hands of an idiot it can be a bad thing. The bad thing is that lots of idiots like guns.

I have friends that have guns, I've gone to the shooting range and shot some big powerful. It was fun, but not anymore fun than bowling or golf.

I do have something against idiots who shoot at trees and I do think people who are REALLY into guns are kind of weird.

I don't have a gun, but if you break into my house, I have two Louisville sluggers and a golf club waiting for you. I'm old school, I'm into clubbing weapons. I'm not like these wimpy guys of today.

I don't need a gun that's statistically more likely to kill one of my kids in an accident than it is to kill a burglar.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

^^ Sorry Hully, double typo) ^^

Yes, I know you are an unrepentant gun baiter - for shame. :-)

I don't need a gun that's statistically more likely to kill one of my kids in an accident than it is to kill a burglar.

...not sure if you are still baiting, but I am compelled to address that one.

That stat you referenced is thrown around a lot - you know the old lies, darned lies, and statistics.

This “statistic” includes “children” up to age 19 or 24, depending on the source. Since most violent crime is committed by males ages 16-24, these numbers include adult gang members dying during criminal activity.

Suicides are also included. Since they account for more than 1/2 of all gun deaths that drops it to about 1.3 children a day (using federal nubmers circa 1998).
But, over 13 teenagers die every day in automobiles, seven behind the wheel.
Four children die each day in the U.S. from parental neglect and abuse.

Your kid is much more endangered by your pool than the gun you keep secured in a safe.
Your car is also statistically more likely to kill your kids than a gun.

On the other hand, some studies say over 2 million crimes are prevented every year due to the self-defensive use of a firearm. That includes situations that were averted and no shots fired.

Having said that, any accidental death of a child is tragic for the very reason it could be prevented. That is why it is irresponsible to have unsecured firearms around children. I believe they should either be on your person or locked up. Those who follow those rules and teach their children gun safety are highly unlikely to pad that statistic.

Israel said...

Ummm?

Gangmembers dying during criminal activities that they are committing in their own homes?

Doubtful...

I'd like to see the source of your statistics, for the 2 million crime preventions.

I doubt even if you are including cops in those statistics, that that is an accurate number. You probably have a bunch of gun wackos saying, "well no crimes occurred in my house today, I must have prevented at least five of them. Yup! Five sounds like a good number."

-----------------

As far as carrying guns and shooting guns, I don't see what is so "manly" about that.

It takes absolutely no great physical or mental courage or skill to shoot a gun. People who think so are heroes only in their own minds. It's far less physically challenging than golf, bowling or shuffleboard.

These "macho" gun guys either feel they need a gun as some sort of "security blanket" because they feel inadequate without one or they are living out the sort of cowboy, guns and robbers fantasy that most of us outgrew as kids.

I have killed animals with guns and it didn't make me feel any more macho or manly. If I had done it with a knife or a spear maybe, but not with a gun...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Another interesting view on why guns are necessary.

Why the Gun is Civilization

Unknown said...

Fact is that most gun related "child" death statistics include gang violence and suicides to skew the data. It's extremely deceptive and does not portray a true picture.

Unknown said...

Here are some sources:

FBI Uniform Crime Statistics, 1997

National Center for Health Statistics, “Rates of Homicide, Suicide, and Firearm-Related Death Among Children -
- 26 Industrialized Countries”, 1997

Center for Disease Control, National Vital Statistics Report - Deaths: Final Data for 1998, July 24, 2000

CDC WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports, 1981-1998

U.S. Department of Transportation's Fatality Analysis Reporting System, 2001

National Center on Child Abuse Prevention, 1998 Annual Survey

1998 US Bureau of Justice Statistics

Israel said...

Well excuse my skepticism, when somebody supports a point with "some studies say." Some studies say lots of things including, smoking doesn't cause cancer.

Yep, I looked at that 95 page gun propaganda pamphlet and just as I thought, nothing in there of substance that would help prove the validity of some studies. The numbers on prevention are "estimated" and self-reported and include police who obviously have a vested interest in inflating the numbers as to how many crimes they "prevent." That is extremely deceptive and skewed, not to mention impossible to measure even with real "studies" conducted by competent social scientists.

I guarantee you the 2.5 million number is not worth the paper it's printed on.

As for whether more kids and gun owners and family members are killed with their own guns than burglars, I stand by that number. You may parse it by the age of of the child, or whether the deaths are suicides, or this or that, but it's still true...

Unknown said...

you guarantee eh?

What number are you standing by exactly since you cited no sources.

And, ridicule doesn't equal a refutation.
Just sayin...

Hully said...

Israel said: "I don't have a gun, but if you break into my house, I have two Louisville sluggers and a golf club waiting for you."

And Sean Taylor (RIP) had a machete. I'll bet he wishes now that he had had a gun. Er, I guess at least his family does.

And FWIW, I think shirtless guys chopping down trees with guns is pretty dumb too. That's why I posted it. Call it "anti-gun baiting." Two can play that game. And I caught me a big one. ;-)

Hully said...

"Why the Gun is Civilization"

Great link. :thumbsup:

Unknown said...

Along the same lines... hehe