Were it not for the magic of credit, I don't know that I would be able to pull off this whole law school gig. I will be living off student loans for the next three years, which kind of frightens me. But I know that the long-term payoff will be worth it.I hope.
Here is the problem I am running into, though. I don't get the money until after the semester starts. Once the semester starts, the lending institution disperses the money to the school. Then the school takes out the tuition, etc., and sends me what's left to use for other education and living expenses.
I need to buy a new laptop before the semester starts. That's $1,000 I don't have. I need to buy furniture for my apartment before the semester starts. That's $600 I don't have. I need to buy my books before the semester starts. That's $700 I don't have. I need to put my first month's rent and a deposit down on my apartment on Aug. 1. That's $800 I don't have. And there are countless other supplies and odds and ends for which I don't have any money.
I'm sure everything will work out. God always provides. I'm just not very good at letting it go. So I'm just going to take a deep, slow breath and calmly say...
SERENITY NOW!!!!

29 comments:
Go to the law school library and check out the books or find a friend and make copies of the initial chapters / readings.
The rest, except for the apartment, you don't really need until after school starts and I'm sure you can work something out with the landlord on the deposit.
Law school is not like regular school. There is only one test at the end of the semester and all the books and outlines in the world won't help you on the test because the fact patterns on the test will be unlike anything you've ever read about in the cases you read before.
You are learning broad principles not easy answers that you can memorize and regurgitate.
It's the Socratic method and they try to get you to start thinking like a lawyer first. None of the stuff you read in the first few weeks will be on the test or help you in anyway when push comes to shove.
So relax...
The biggest thing about law school is not to freak out and to keep your head on straight while others are losing theirs. When the test comes around you will have prepared your outlines or purchased commercial ones, and you will be fine.
I got straight A's my first year of lawschool (without a laptop)sitting in the back row and not taking any notes at all, while my friends scribbled madly trying to get the answers.
I just sat there and fully engaged my mind and tried to understand the legal principles the best I could.
Do the reading, relax as much as possible. You'll do fine.
Besides "C equals J.D." and it's very hard to flunk out of lawschool.
Serenity now...
check it out, I got banned from the ESPN Boxing Board (in one day) for supporting Israel and coming out against terrorism, terrorist supporters, sympathizers and apologists. Other people use profanity all the time and nothing happens to them.
http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?forumID=767&start=0&threadID=3973421&sortBy=null
The thread was "Question on middle east crisis...." posted July 16 at 2:12 p.m.
Oh yeah, I said a few things about Bush too, but nothing profane. I have been banned for life.
That's pathetic. Although I wouldn't expect any different from Disney/ABC/ESPN. You made excellent points that were nothing but the truth, and you certainly did not surpass the bounds of civility.
I went out in a blaze of glory though didn't I?
I thought that Fox had taken over CBS for a second.
I guess ESPN message board policy is pretty broad when it comes to banning people.
Hey, we agreed on something! Maybe that's a sign of the apocalypse...
Before I was banned from the ESPN boxing board I wanted to provide a link to this article from the Chronicle about Iran's Nazi ties and name change which shows that the Iranian guy who was debating me about terrorism was full of baloney. Can you post it for me?:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2006/01/08/INGODGH99Q1.DTL
It ran Sunday January 8, 2006 and was by Edwin Black "Denial of Holocaust Nothing new in Iran Ties to Hitler led to plots against British and Jews"
But if you haven't already you might want to change your profile so nobody knows who you are and they can't e-mail you.
You can either run it as an Off Topic Thread designated by "OT Iran's Ties to Hitler" or add it to the Middle East Thread.
Thanks!
This Iranian Med student denied everything I wrote (which was 100% accurate) said I needed a History lesson and was making stuff up. Then he tells me to perform a indecent act on myself. And I end up getting banned!!
As far as school expenses...
I'm kind of anal about books. I'll go without eating instead of going without books. Even if I can check them out of a library, I'd rather own them. It's a security blanket thang. So I'll find a way to get those.
All the exams at UT (and most other law schools these days) are taken on laptops. Some students still take notes the old-fashioned way, but use their laptops for the finals. I can't read my own handwriting, so having type-written notes is a plus. I'm a lot like you in that I don't like to take notes because it hinders thinking. But a note here and there keeps me concentrating. (Oh look! Shiny things!) Q: How many kids with ADD does it take to change a light bulb? A: Hey let's ride bikes!!!
Anywho, thanks for the advice on keeping my cool. I tend to get wound a little tight when things aren't sailing along smoothly.
Serenity now...
Check back on your post once in a while cuz the Butaloh is countering with the dreaded Wikipedia source of all undocumented truth and knowledge in the universe.
He's also pulling out the "Psedu-history" card whatever that is.
I didn't say not to buy the books, I just said you didn't have to buy them until after you got your money.
I saw that. I had a nice little chuckle when he played the Wikipedia card.
During a lot of lawschool tests you can bring in the book and any notes and outlines and a lap top and you won't even glance at any of that stuff, because you will be writing the answers down as fast as you can.
None of those things will help you during the test, although they will help you prepare for the test.
Unless you can type faster than you can write by hand, I don't recommend doing your tests on a laptop. Too many things can go wrong, crashes, etc.
It's intense. I highly recommend those erasable pens. Pencils break and I like being able to erase any mistakes. Take half a dozen to account for malfunctions.
During our exams the first year of lawschool, one of the girls fainted and her head flopped over on the arm of the guy sitting next to her. He just pushed her head off of his arm and kept writing without even looking up.
The professor revived her and the first words out of the professor's mouth were not "Are you OK?" they were, "When are you going to take the test?"
Our law school graded on a strict curve where 75 percent of the people got a "C," or below, 15 percent got a "B" and only 10 percent got an "A." Once on a 150 point test the difference between an "A" and a "C" was 4 points.
So it was pretty "dog-eat-dog," especially if you wanted those A's.
I took a con law course during my undergrad and the prof tried to semi-simulate a real law class. She even gave us an open-note exam. But like you said, I never used the notes I had. I got an A and the kids who spent the whole exam time thumbing through their notes got at best Cs.
I depend on computers on a deadline every day, so that thought doesn't bother me. I'm more nervous about my hand cramping up as I try to write. I have a lot more faith in my ability to write on a keyboard than by hand.
The new article Butaloh posted really doesn't refute anything the original article said. And it condemns the Iranian President which Butaloh has been unwilling to do.
I appealed my ban and apparantly it has been shortened to 48 hours. I can't wait to come back and see if the terrorist sympathizers missed me.
If you have the time, maybe you could post a couple more times (once every six hours or so) to keep the thread up so that people see it as soon as they get on the board.
That Ronisron guy, who should change his name to Ronis(mo)ron - has posted 10294 times in the last sixty days.
Feel free to use my joke Ronis(mo)ron joke, you can tell him it's from me. Maybe you could ask him if he has a job.
See that's two posts right there.
Fun huh?
How you and I get banned, but ronisron doesn't even after his profanity/hate-filled diatribe, is beyond me.
John got banned!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Don't worry my ban expires today, I'll be back...
I reported ronisron to the mods for violating the Terms Of Use. I doubt it will get anywhere, but it felt good to do. Here is what I sent them:
--------------------------->>>
I would like to report a gross violation of the Terms Of Use of the ESPN Message Boards. The violation can be found in the following thread:
http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?forumID=767&threadID=3973421&lastPostID=25796249
The violator is a poster going by the handle "ronisron." He made the following posts:
-------------------------------------
Page 5:
“The complete and utter stupidity of soon to be banned a-holes like izdawiz never ceases to amaze me.... never. What a total and f-ing embarrassment you are to the human race, you garbage dump. That's for anyone like j-erk-off-in-double-time too, who has your "back". Idiots, useless, f-ing idiots. Troll the NFL boards or something.....”
-------------------------------------
Page 8:
Listen you sword swallowing POS, why don't you f-off with your not so thinly disguised racial shite you f-ing joke. There is nothing more pathetic than a racist who can intellectualize their stance on hate. For making an attempt to... go swallow some Drano, you Tom Metzger wannabe. History.... HIS STORY. Believe what you want you POS.”
“I reiterate my stance on you, Metzger disciple. Wash down the drano with battery acid.”
“Tell whoever finds you to cover you over in an abandoned septic tank with extra strength lime. Cool? Take off...”
-------------------------------------
Page 9:
“Yep, ignorant, misguided, pseudo-intellectual racist putz, and a liar to boot.”
“To he11 with idiotwiz, his barely disguused racial BS, and anyone who defends it as his "right".”
-------------------------------------
These posts are a violation of the following stipulation of the following Terms Of Use:
“HOUSE RULES
The following is a list of the House Rules of conduct for the WDIG Sites. By using the WDIG Sites you agree not to do any of the following:
1. Post, distribute, or otherwise make available or transmit any data, text, message, or computer file that we deem to be: (a) defamatory, abusive, harassing, insulting, threatening, or that could be deemed to be stalking; (b) bigoted, hateful, or racially offensive; (c) vulgar, obscene, or sexually explicit (language or images); or that (d) encourages or advocates illegal activity or the discussion of illegal activities with the intent to commit them;”
He violated the restriction against “defamatory” posts by calling me a “racist … Tom Metzger disciple” and by calling izdawiz a “racist” and a “liar.”
He violated the restriction against “abusive” posts by telling me to “go swallow some Drano” and to “Wash down the drano with battery acid.”
He violated the restriction against “insulting” posts by calling izdawiz an “a-hole,” “a total and f-ing embarrassment … to the human race,” a “garbage dump,” and a “useless, f-ing idiot.”
I appreciate your prompt attention to this matter.
Thank you,
John S. Hullinger
aka UTlawRocket
Ahhh man, you shouldn't have done that!! It's better to wait and let them hang themselves...
Plus Ron is hilarious!!!
I hope he doesn't get banned cause that board is his life, better that then up on a roof with a sniper rifle.
His latest gem:
"It's really simple actually. The "leaders" of the UK, US/Canada, and Israel have a real big agenda to fulfill. It's basically genocide. Those who are there and can't get out (all escape routes have been blocked, needless to say,this impedes exit) will basically be slaughtered; in Iraq, Iran, Syria, Lebanon.... if you want to find out who is on the losing side, watch CNN. Israeli is Israeli, British is British, Canadian is Canadian, and American is American....everyone else is "dissident", "terrorist" or "militant". The "losers" of this "war" have already been picked. We're very "lucky" in North America. We're all going to be one big happy family soon. The NAU, all one currency, one government, one big country. Not the US, Mexico, or Canada anymore. One big country, called the NAU. they're building a 1/4 of a mile wide "NAFTA Superhighway" which bisects your country, as we speak. Cool huh? The new border/immigration laws come into effect soon. It doesn't matter what kind of ignorant stance anyone hides behind, it's out of your hands now anyway. Oh, but don't worry it will still be a "free and democratic" society for all of us. And we'll all be safe from the "terrorists" too."
I think twas Mark Twain that said...
"Tis better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt..."
Either him or honest Abe I think...
I think you're right. I think it was Twain. According to brainyquote.com it was.
I've heard it attributed to both..
John, how long is your ban?
Dunno. How do I find out?
Did you get banned again?!?
I came back and was banned again in just about 3 minutes I wrote as fast as I could and managed to make the following three posts as izdawiz2.
"I just wanted to let you know that there are people and medications out there that can help you with your problems. I ursge you to seek this help before it's too late.
I just got done serving my 48 hour ban from this board. I am still not sure why I was banned, I guess someone with delicate sensibilities was offended and complained.
I have changed my login name in protest to reflect the fact that I believe my ban was unjust.You called me a racist because I disagree with Butaloh, who just happens to be Iranian.
I just want to say that I disagree with all of the terrorist sympathizers on this board, no matter what their nationality happens to be. I believe I specifically condemned Basque, Japanese and Irish terrorists as well and I'm part Basque.
I believe my much-beloved Iranian relatives would disagree with your assessment as would the many Iranians I have represented in discrimination cases over the years as a Civil Rights lawyer. people like you who cry racist at the drop of a hat make my job extremely difficult because when we are prosecuting a legitimate case of discrimination, jurors have been jaded by people like you who make spurrious claims of racism when they don't have any other facts to back up their argument."
yup! banned again, in record time.
I'm so proud of myself.
I guess they changed their mind about the 48 hour ban and now I've been banned for life.
Thank you very much!
I did a little research (2 minutes worth) on Butaloh and I found out that the Carribean med school he got accepted to is one of those fly-by-night programs that accepts anyone with money and a pulse.
He posted his undergrad GPA 2.7 and his MCAT score 32 on the school chat board and one of the other rejects was laughing at how low his scores were.
This is why you should never use an easily identifiable screen-name on chat groups or on the internet, because people can find you and this info can haunt you for the rest of your life.
Scary huh?
Wel if he ever decides to become a card-carrying terrorist instead of just a terrorist sympathizer, teh FBI should be able to find him pretty easily.
George Bush is reading this (slowly) right now. Hi George! Betcha your lips are moving...
Post a Comment