Tuesday, July 25, 2006

T-minus eight days and counting...

The current chapter is coming to a close. August 2 is my last day at The Lima News.

It definitely feels weird to leave the paper. I have been there full-time for six years in addition to the two years I put in part-time before that. To put it in perspective, from the time I graduated high school in 1992 until I first started at the paper in 1998, I worked for six different employers, including return visits to two of them. Essentially, I went through eight jobs in a six year span.


I am going to write a "good-bye" column for the paper, but I'm not sure what it is going to say yet, other than "Good-bye." Jess will want me to avoid the whole mushy, sentimental angle. But, if you know me at all, you know the odds of that happening are slim. I certainly cannot take the time to thank all the people who helped along the way, who influenced me to better myself, and who gave me the self-confidence to believe I could.


I will miss a lot of things about being a sports writer...

Friday nights in the fall,

Friday nights at the race track during the summer,

Spring evenings at the ball diamond,

Friday nights in the fall,

The
"Road to Canton/Massillon,"
The high school basketball tournament,

Scooping the competition,

Did I mention Friday nights in the fall?


Things I won't miss...

Getting a tip about a breaking story one hour before deadline while working desk by myself,

Vince Koza,
The first 3/4 of the high school basketball season,
Editing the
weekly bowling column,
Wrestling parents,
Cheerleaders,
The annoying news reporter in the office who goes on-and-on about the 2005-06 Steelers being the "greatest team ever,"
Vince Koza.


(That second section probably won't make the column.)

I definitely found a home at The Lima News. However, raising a family on a Lima News sports writer's salary is a bit of a challenge. So on to bigger and better things, eh?

13 comments:

Israel said...

Emperor Palpatine welcomes you to the Dark side.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!

Hully said...

Yes, my Master. [bows]

Hully said...

Does this mean I get a light saber? I always wanted one of those.

Israel said...

Yes. But it will be a short, stubby one that doesn't clash with your tiny feet.

Hully said...

Forget that. A real Jedi builds his own light saber. You can keep your short, stubby one. I'm building my own. w00t!!!!!11!!!1!!!

Israel said...

What is

"w00t!!!!!11!!!1!!!"


???

Israel said...

That settles it...

You are officially a (chose at least one)

1) nerd
2) geek
3) dork
4) doof
5) goofball
6) weirdo

Hully said...

From you, I take that as the highest compliment!

Israel said...

Myself, I'm 95 percent nerd and 5 percent goofball / weirdo.

And I still think that people who use "woot" are 100% geek...

Hully said...

I see myself as being 90 percent in the goofball column and 10 percent geek. I'm just geeky enough to know what "w00t" means, but I choose to use it because I think it's a goofy word/phrase, not because I think it makes me cool.

Jeshanah said...

I'll let your wives determine if #3 is correct or not, but as for the rest of the list... they all apply.

Jeshanah said...

look it up.

Jeshanah said...

Vince Koza... man I miss that guy... NOT!!!! He sucks. The way he talks is so annoying! Up, down, up, down. Get some monotone, man.