Bill Simmons seems to think so... Personally, I don't think it needs it. Sure it's not perfect. But one of the reasons FF has taken off the way it has is because there is a league for everyone. Don't like the way the league you are in works? Start your own and invite like-minded individuals. It is the free market at its finest. Centralized control is for communists."You're not allowed to complain about four things in life: nudity, free food, free drinks and fantasy football. So why would I want to tinker with the latter, a multibillion-dollar business that brings us so much joy? Because we screwed this up from the beginning, that's why.
"You know how pro sports were totally messed up in the '40s and '50s, back when the NBA had no shot clock, hockey goalies didn't have masks and football players went all 60 minutes? Back then, fans thought everything was fine, right? That's where fantasy is: great concept, semisuccessful execution, tons of potential. It's not Kathy Griffin's face; we don't have to renovate everything, we just need to make some adjustments. And I'm more than willing to be the Winston Wolfe of the whole thing."

20 comments:
Completely off topic... but Israel, if you're looking for something to do this weekend, the Champ Cars are in Saint Joe's.
http://www.sanjosegrandprix.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBXrRzHsfnQ
I can't think of a better way to spend an excruciatingly hot summer day than to hang out in a puddle of my own sweat enjoying the smell of burning rubber.
Plus what if I get hit by a tire or something? Those tires have to be affected by the heat.
I know that they once closed the Phoenix airport because the asphalt was hot enough to deform the airplane tires.
They also cancelled the Barnum and Bailey parade one year because Phoenix was too hot for the elephants. Imagine that.
---I can't think of a better way to spend an excruciatingly hot summer day than to hang out in a puddle of my own sweat enjoying the smell of burning rubber.---
Yeah, I know what you mean. :D
---Plus what if I get hit by a tire or something? Those tires have to be affected by the heat.---
If you get hit by a tire, you will probably die, and not because the tires are hot, but because a 50-pound wheel assembly traveling at 180 mph tends to do a lot of damage. But the odds of that happening are about the same as you voting for Ted Nugent in the '08 presidential election.
So I say, take a friend, find a shady spot to watch, consume a cold beverage or 12, and yell "¡Vaya más rápidamente!" every time Mario Dominguez flashes by.
I'm going to post so john doesn't feel like Israel is the only one that reads this.
Shan reads it. She thinks it's bizarre.
P.S.: What's the league ID number so I can sign up? The password does me no good without the ID number.
I disagree with the premise in the first paragraph of the article you posted.
I can and do complain about nudity-- the public kind that is.
First off, why isn't there more of it? And why is it that when there is public nudity, the only people who run around in public nude are usually the last ones you want to see naked?
I spend a lot of time in Berkeley, where nudity was quite the craze for a while. This Mexican guy became world famous as "The naked guy" because he would attend classes naked. He did carry around a bandanna so that he could put something between his bare bottom and the classroom chair, so that was nice and considerate. People who saw him said he had a nice body but a small package -- whatever that means...
Anyway, other people soon followed suit and you'd be hanging around a grocery store and all of a sudden you'd see a gross, fat, naked hairy man, his slightly less fat, naked, hairy wife and their naked baby in his baby stoller. The husband would be calmly squeezing tomatoes in the produce aisle or some such.
I saw this with my own eyes.
The first time I was in Berkeley I had my camera and I kept bragging to Christine that I couldn't wait to see a naked person so that I could take their picture and show it to my friends back home.
Christine said "Oh, yeah? Turn to your left," and right then, right next to me, not two feet away, was a naked lady wearing a backpack, flip flops and nothing else.
My jaw dropped and I stammered a couple times and of course I didn't have the nerve to actually take her picture, but the image is indeligibly seared into my mind and I couldn't get rid of it if I wanted to.
Sadly, the original naked Mexican guy (Martinez was his name) committed suicide in San Jose while in custody for assault a couple of months ago. Seems he had mental health issues (Who knew?) They were probably related to his small package. He was said to often lament the fact that he couldn't shake his legacy as "The Naked Guy."
So it's been years since I've seen anyone walking around naked in Berkeley. Which is sad because nothing perks up a day like gratuitous random nudity.
My cousin and I did see a naked guy sunning himself on the beach in San Francisco some years ago, but he was so far away that the rocks we threw at him didn't quite make it.
Nothing worse than a naked guy, on beach, ruining your view of nature.
your cousin? are you sure you're not mistaken. I seem to remember a trip to "black's beach" or as I like to call it, "the beachy beach" with you and christine. It was a eye opening experience for a then 15 year old.
No Zion,
I think the "vichy" beach was in San Diego.
And Christine and I did not know it was a nude beach when we went there with you.
As I recall you enjoyed it immensely.
As I see it, if I go somewhere and people happen to be walking around naked, it's not my fault.
As you probably remember, we were all wearing clothes not bathing suits either, pants, shirts, socks, shoes, the works.
I asked Christine why they let that guy go to class naked. Why didn't they just throw him in jail?
She said "I don't know, I guess it's not against the law."
Then Berkeley had to have public meetings in order to pass an anti-nudity law and of course those council meetings were chock full of naked people.
I think fat ugly people, especially hairy ones, should never get allowed to get naked-- even in the privacy of their own homes.
That would cut down on the population of Republicans for sure.
My favorite story about fat naked people and it's entirely true.
My brother-in-law is a doctor and he was giving this enormous guy a physical when he noticed a strange bulge on one side of his abdomen. So he moves one of these huge rolls of fat and:
No kidding...
A Big Mac rolls out!!
The fat guy nonchalantly picks it up and says --
Ohhh... OOOOPS! I was saving that for later...
Eeeeewwww... that's so disgusting. In fact, this whole section of comments is so repulsive I can't believe that I actually read them all. Puddles of sweat and naked people, guys are gross!
[buuuurrrppp]
If you're gonna be living in Arizona, you'd better not be offended by puddles of sweat.
And think about this -- everyone is naked underneath their clothes.
EEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!! GROSS!!!!
check this out
http://onestopblogger.blogspot.com/
No offense, but I hate frames, especially ones that change size every time I move my mouse. I've got all the blogs I visit bookmarked on my browser toolbar (Firefox rules!)
"Rediscover the web."
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=72
Zion, you blew my site stats out of the water trying to set that up. My counter service records total visitors and gives details on the past 100 visits, normally about a weeks worth of traffic. It's showing 238 hits yesterday, and 98 of the last 100 were from http://ramirezplace.blogspot.com/, which now doesn't exist and is, I assume, the address you originally tried to set it up on.
Man, if you showed that kind of tenacity and initiative in everything you did, the sky would be the limit for you.
Post a Comment