Wednesday, February 14, 2007

An Inconvenient Storm

First the “Blizzard of ’07” forced the postponement of the House Subcommittee on Energy and Air Quality’s hearing on climate change, originally scheduled for today.

Now comes word that Maryville University in St. Louis had to postpone a screening of Al Gore’s propaganda film “An Inconvenient Truth” yesterday as nearly a foot of snow, driven by 30 mph winds, blasted the Gateway area.

It's getting to the point where I'm going to have to buy the biggest four-wheel-drive SUV I can find just to drive around in all this snow.

15 comments:

Israel said...

Again part of the "inconvenient truth" is that climate cahnges are causing severe weather of all kinds, which means colder winters, hotter summers. Not just hotter all the time...

Sharla said...

What ??? REALLY??? Where do you GET all this enlightening information?? That's not what Rush says. Gasp! Is someone else saying something different?? Inconceivable.




< rolls eyes >

Sharla said...

Israel,

I do have one question for you. How do the melting glaciers make the level of water rise, which I understand is the theory, when ice takes up more space than water? I mean, nothing was added, right? Shouldn't the water level go down? It seems like the melted ice in the bottom of my McDonalds cup is lower when it is melted than when it is still frozen. Justin mentioned this to me a while back after we had all watched some documentaries on the science channel or something about global warming.
Last night I watched an interesting show about some monkeys that look like chimps but aren't and the commentator said that is where we get our gentler side. The scientist all seem to agree that we come from apes. I did not evolve from an ape any more than I am causing the climate to change. Honestly, don't be so gullible!!

Hully said...

There is a broad range of conflicting opinions on the subject. I have read that pollution is accelerating the warming process. I have also read that global warming has been accelerated because modern factories and cars operate so much cleaner than their predecessors. Then there is, of course, the vast contingent of scientists who say the rest of the scientists are full of it.

News Flash: the weather changes. Fluctuations in climate have been happening for centuries. To suggest that humans are responsible for any current climate shift is narcissism on a global scale. We can stop it no more than we can cause it.

Jeshanah said...

I am absolutely convinced that the President is somehow behind all the global warming and weather changes. I bet it is some sort of government testing gone bad that we are paying millions of tax dollars to some fancy pants scientist, but they messed up. Like maybe they tried to bottle up Arizona's weather, then they shook up that bottle and it exploded like a pop all over the world, thus, global warming!! And as for the cold fronts, well, I can certainly explain those, too, it's Arizona at night!! Voila!


Once again, Arizona trys to ruin peoples lives!! I think I'm onto something here. =)

Sharla said...

Yeah, its no doubt George Bush's fault. Probably all due to Air Force One. Of course, Nancy's new little plane will probably somehow have the reverse effect. :)

Israel said...

Yeah,

I'm sure you guys are 100 percent correct and all of science is just bunch of hooey made up by egghead democrats.

Why spend all that money on research when all we need to do is go to McDonalds and watch ice melt?

And you guys do realize its called the "theory" of evolution don't you?

You guys understand how the scientific method works, right?

And you also realize that speculation about monkeys has nothing whatsoever to do with studying climate changes that are being caused by pollution?

And why even bother to educate ourselves about global warming when people in Ohio can go outside, see that it's cold ,and laugh uproariously at all those idiotic eggheads who think that pollution is a problem.

Yep, it makes perfect sense to me. I think I'll go out right now and register as a Republican because those commie democrat scientists just lack the good old common sense that has made this Republican administration so successful.

Anonymous said...

Israel,
I'm not saying that Global warming doesn't exist. From what I have heard there is some very convincing arguments that pollution does have an effect on warming, specifically the concentration of carbon dioxide.

However, I know weather might getting worse, but the final result of this horrible phenomenon is that we would be forced into another ice age.

This is where I believe the Bible more than those scientist. The Bible say's the earth would never be destroyed by water, and a giant ice age would definately be destroying the earth with water. He said It would fire. So what this should do, if you belive it, is view this as a sign that the earth won't be around forever and will be destroyed long before Global warming takes effect.
It's a sign of the second coming more than sign of bad weather for the next 100 years.

And if its possible, we should try not to be wasteful with the land we've been given, but on the other hand I don't believe we should all dance around naked and live in trees.

Hully said...

Good post, Zion.

Anonymous said...

I believe it's going to warm up all right, but not for the reason the scientists think. The Bible does not say "thou shalt not drive SUVs".
It does have a few other "thou shalts" that most of us here on the earth haven't been paying much attention to.
Once again I really don't agree with the left wing wackos but I don't think the republicans are completely right either.
I do agree completely with Zion. Believe it or not, I watched a documentary just a couple days ago which did sound pretty convincing but I think it ended up saying that NOTHING we could do now would be able to change anything. That part I definitely believe.
Israel, we are more likely to "laugh uproariously" when you are acting like such a smarty pants and talking down to us all the time. We ARE on the same planet that you are, even out here in flyover country.
The "specualtion about monkeys" is a scientific theory. So is global warming. As Shan loves to say when she addresses you, "I rest my case!" :)

Sharla said...

Also, I hope you and Christine and the boys have a wonderful vacation and family reunion. Have fun in AZ :)

BeccaHolsapple said...

You are right on Zion!

Unknown said...

In the last two years, the buzzword du jour is now "climate change" instead of "global warming".

That's because the avg. earth temp over the past 100 years has only increased by a degree or so, and the environmentalist whack-jobs look stupid. These are the same people and organizations that just 30 years back were predicting we would all die from the impending ICE age. Look it up.

Having said that, it is obvious that we are having very severe weather shifts the past couple years, and it very well may be the result of man's messing up the earth.

It's just that the "tree-hugger" politicos have changed their story so much that I can't consider what they say credible anymore. It seems the politicians and celebrities use the issue more for their own power than any real concern for the environment.

Sharla said...

hhhmmm... I know ol' Israel is on vacation and buying condos in Tucson and everything, so maybe he really has been too busy to comment on here this week, but I'm wondering if maybe he's feeling all insecure again about being wrong all the time, you know how he gets, thinking we are all against him and all that. He can sure dish it out but sometimes he can't ...well, you know. :)
Come on back Israel, we all still love you anyway.



(He probably just heard that scientist that is saying there was a time in the middle ages when the earth was much hotter, they know they were growing oranges or something where they would never grow today, and no one seems to think there were a lot of SUVs running around back then or homes with incandescent light bulbs, so like the theory is starting to look like just that, a theory, as opposed to scientific fact like gravity and things that are true and make sense and everyone can agree on pretty much.) :)

Jeshanah said...

Lol, Mom! I know, we even loaned him out laptop for a couple days, so he HAD a computer... sure makes ya wonder!!! =)