Monday, February 12, 2007

Time to hunker down

According to the National Weather Service, a winter storm is expected to dump anywhere from six to 12 inches of snow on Toledo starting tomorrow morning through Wednesday night.

This is the first real snow we’ve had this winter, so I’m kind of looking forward to it. Plus, to be honest, it would be nice to have a day or two of class cancelled, should they decide to do so. I’ve been told that UT rarely cancels classes because of weather, so the odds might be against it.

But that’s what they said when I went to Ohio Northern. In ONU’s first 130 years of history, they cancelled classes just once for weather. In my five years there they cancelled four times.

The main reason I’m excited about the weather, though, is because I just got a new camera over the weekend and I can’t wait to get out and start taking pictures with it. What better way to break it in than shooting pictures of the snowstorm of the year!

In other news, my tailbone is getting better. I’m off the Tylenol-3 and I'm just taking the 800mg Ibuprofen. I tried to quit it yesterday, but I could definitely tell a huge difference when it wore off and the pain started to kick back in at full strength.

Interestingly enough, I think I may have discovered a culprit in all of this. Yesterday I wore the jeans that I was wearing when I fell for the first time since that day. The fold of the seams where the four denim panels come together on the back of the jeans is rather thick.

When I fell, I landed in a sitting position with my legs extended. If I sit in that position while wearing these jeans, the intersection of the seams presses against the tailbone and the pain is excruciating. It feels like I am sitting on a marble. But if I am wearing a different pair of pants or jeans, I’m fine. I just wonder if maybe that seam didn’t cause the injury to be a lot worse than it would have been had I been wearing another pair of jeans at the time…

Kroger and Eddie Bauer as co-defendants? Hmm…

;-)

UPDATED ALERT (5:15 p.m.):

"THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CLEVELAND HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TUESDAY TO 12 PM EST
WEDNESDAY.

A MAJOR WINTER STORM IS EXPECTED TO AFFECT THE ENTIRE REGION
TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING. LIGHT SNOW WILL MOVE INTO THE AREA LATE
TONIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING. CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE QUICKLY
DURING THE DAY ON TUESDAY...WITH SNOW BECOMING HEAVY AT TIMES. BY
EVENING RUSH HOUR...4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE...LIKELY
MAKING THE EVENING COMMUTE VERY DIFFICULT. ANOTHER 3 TO 6 INCHES
OF SNOW IS LIKELY TUESDAY NIGHT BEFORE TAPERING OFF WEDNESDAY.
STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 7 TO 14 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE WITH THIS
STORM. THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT THE SNOW MAY MIX WITH OR CHANGE
TO SLEET MAINLY SOUTH OF ROUTE 30 LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND TUESDAY
EVENING. IF IT DOES...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE REDUCED.

NORTHEAST WINDS WILL GUST TO 30 MPH AT TIMES TUESDAY AFTERNOON
AND TUESDAY NIGHT CREATING CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW
WITH NEAR WHITE OUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES. THIS WILL ALSO MAKE
TRAVEL VERY DIFFICULT."

No comments: