Monday, February 05, 2007

Tell Grandma to call Uncle Rico

I broke my coccyx.
(Or so it appears.)

As if law school isn’t tough enough, now I have to sit through seemingly endless hours of readings and Socratic torture with a broken tailbone. Two weeks ago I slipped on a patch of ice in the Kroger parking lot and landed hard on the seat of my pants. It didn’t hurt when I fell, so I didn’t bother to stop and fill out an accident report (plus I didn’t want to miss the second half of the Pats/Colts game). But two hours later the pain was getting pretty bad.

And it stayed that way. I tried to tough it out. But when I missed a class because I couldn’t bend over far enough get in my car, I decided it might be time to visit a doctor. The x-rays seem to indicate a fracture, though it’s hard to tell for sure. The doctor prescribed some pain meds (800mg ibuprofen and Tylenol-3) and those definitely help. Although I’m not sure which is worse, not being able to concentrate in class because of the pain, or not be able to concentrate in class because I’m loopy.

Loopy is more fun than pain, so I guess I’ll go with that one.

The good news is that I am getting a lot more work done now that I can actually sit down for more than two minutes at a time. I just hope this isn’t something that drags out.

8 comments:

Jeshanah said...

Tough break. (Get it, get it? break, as in broken... Nevermind.)

Sorry to hear about your pain, or loopyness, whichever the case may be. Get feeling better!

Israel said...

What a pain in the butt! Too bad you sidn't break you sacroiliac, at least then you could do "The Message" rap by Grandmaster Flash.

"It's like a jungle sometimes
It makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under

It's like a jungle sometimes
It makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under

Got a bum education, double-digit inflation

Can't take the train to the job, there's a strike at the station

Neon King Kong standin' on my back
Can't stop to turn around, broke my sacroiliac

A mid-range migraine, cancered membrane

Sometimes I think I'm goin' insane!"

Unknown said...

That is a great word and it's a real shame that it isn't used more in casual conversation.

Like

"Get your lazy coccyx over here!"
"He's a real pain in the coccyx."
and "Cut it out or I'll fracture your coccyx"

*ahem*

I really am sorry you're in pain, but it's just one of those things that has all sorts of intrinsic comedic potential...no buts about it.

Hully said...

pmb, I've had enough of your wise cracks...

Hully said...

By the way, I was able to obtain a copy of the x-rays...


Before: (_I_)


After: (_>_)

Israel said...

That's disgusting! I can't believe you're posting pictures of your backside on the internet...

Israel said...

I've had enough of your cracks Mister Hullinger, thank you very much!

Sharla said...

lol, you silly boys