Sunday, March 23, 2008

Crash pictures





(Note the glass shards. This is the BACK seat.)

23 comments:

Jeshanah said...

I'm just glad none of you were hurt! Praise the Lord you're all okay!

Bummer about your truck, though. (at least you've had it more than 24 hours...) =)

Unknown said...

I am so glad to know you Jess and 'Nessa are all OK.

The percentage of drivers out there sans insurance is appalling... will be praying you get reimbursed.

Hully said...

It was definitely a very violent wreck. The relative lack of damage to our truck belies the intensity of it. The Mountaineer was completely destroyed. I don't think there was a single body panel on that truck that was undamaged. The Intrepid didn't fair much better. Both cars ended up facing the opposite direction that they were originally heading. There were four cars behind us and there was debris from the crash clear past the last car in the line.

The whole thing unfolded right in front of us in virtual slow-motion and it just keeps replaying in my head. I'm letting Nes sleep in our bed with Jess tonight because she said she was afraid of having nightmares about it.

The driver who caused it was a 65-year-old woman. I Googled her address from the police report and it turned out to be a dumpy old RV park just a few miles from our house, which would explain the firewood. I feel bad for her

Sharla said...

I was frustrated and fed up with my situation in life after church on Easter Sunday.

I couldn't afford a new Easter outfit this year. I felt sorry for myself for having to work 66 hour weeks at the store and then needing to prepare a family dinner on my only day off. I was tired of trudging through mud for a quarter mile in my Sunday clothes to get into a very unfinished house. The night before I had had to carry groceries a quarter mile through the mud in order to have a ham to cook. What fun is it to have a family dinner when half of your family is across the county? I could go on and on. And I did.

I was complaining when I got your call. Suddenly the only thing that mattered was that you and Jess and Janessa were all okay. I repented quickly and was so thankful to see Gary bringing Janessa into our warm, compfortabe house a few minutes later. She looked so beautiful to me. She helped me set the table as she told me all about the accident. She told Gary and I about how she had just given her heart to the Lord the night before and how her mommy had led her to know how when she had asked. By the time you were done with the insurance company on the phone and came in the food was on the table. I was glad to be able to provide that after what you had all been through. I was thankful for the food and for my nice dishes to serve it on. We had a little something from the store for a surprise for Ness and we took lots of pics of her hunting for eggs. Later we all found time for a nap and I look back on a blessed Easter. I need to remember to count my blessings, I have been blessed beyond measure.

Our family in Arizona is thriving, happy and healthy. Having them there gives us a wonderful place to visit! The house will get drywall and we will get gravel for our lane. In the mean time, I can sure use the excercise. :)

Unknown said...

Thank the Lord for his protection! I hope you guys get everything worked out...uninsured motorist 'accidents' can be a real mess.

Israel said...

You guys should move to Arizona immediately.

Ohio is far too dangerous, what with the slippery, frozen mud roads, the traffic accidents and the student on teacher violence.

BeccaHolsapple said...

I'm glad you guys are all fine!! We do have a lot to be thankful for, even when it doesn't seem like it! I'm happy to hear about Janessa's decision also!

Hully said...

It was sooo nice to come home to a table full of comfort foods after something like that. Not much in this world can calm the nerves the way (good) ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and rolls can.

Jeshanah said...

yeah, nothin' John likes better than some good ham!

Israel said...

After I get in a crash I'm usually in the mood for a nice rare steak.

But that's just me...

Hully said...

Good ham is waaay better than bad ham. I can tell you from experience!

Unknown said...

Nobody's plugging fried chicken as a comfort food?

We all must be racist.

Hully said...

Just got the estimate from the insurance company. They are going to replace the entire front bumper assembly, the grill assembly, both headlights and parking lights, repair the right fender and replace the left, replace the horn, windshield, both wiper arms, repaint the roof and the whole front half of the truck, and do a full detail on the interior. Total tab: $6,400.55, minus our $500 deductible.

As mentioned before, the driver of the vehicle that caused the accident had no insurance. Our insurance company (Progressive) is going to go after her not only for their cost of repairs, but for our deductible as well. As far as the other driver (the silver Intrepid), I don't know if she had insurance or not.

In my opinion, and that of a couple of the witnesses, she could have avoided the accident, but did not. She wasn't paying attention or something because there was plenty of time to slow down, yet there weren't even any skid marks to speak of. So I don't know if the insurance company can get her for some sort of contributory negligence or something. (I never got to finish Torts.) Thoughts, Israel?

Israel said...

I'm not real clear on what happened as far as who hit your car, who was at fault and whether or not the other driver who was not completely at fault was negligent for not paying enough attention and avoiding the accident.

Sometimes you get into a situation where one person is 80 percent responsible and the other one is 20 percent responsible.

(I'm not a lawyer in Ohio where I think the rule may be that the driver that is the drunkest pays.)

This is what I would have done. Put in a claim against the driver with insurance. If their insurance denies the claim then open your own claim with Progressive.

Too late for that now, so I guess you should just forget about it and let Progressive sort it out.

---------

By the way don't forget to include the pilot who accidentally shot a hole in his own airliner in you "More guns = more safety" file... :)

Sharla said...

ANYONE READING THIS PLEASE PRAY FOR SISTER OLGA, ZION AND ISRAEL'S MOM. SHE IS NOT RESPONDING WELL AFTER HER OPERATION AND NEEDS OUR PRAYERS.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

^^^^ deleted because of several bad spelling errors ^^^^^
---------------------------------

We'll be praying

---------------------------------

"More gun's = more safety

The frame on that doesn't fit. Let's try another one.

There was a CNN piece yesterday reporting that fewer than 1% of flights have an air marshal on board. If true, it might not be such a bad idea to have an armed and trained pilot.

Here we have one documented, in-flight AD.
Now, the ridiculously uninformed hoplophobes are dancing all over this anecdote, but look at the big picture.

Yes, the chances of a hijacking are extremely low. But considering the extreme consequences when one does happen, the even lower risk that some dumb pilot has an AD is, to me, worth it.

Things I take away from this incident:

(1) Contrary to the fears of the gun-grabbing bed wetters, the plane (SHOCK) didn't suddenly decompress and drop from the sky from a bullet hole in the fuselage. They obviously know less about aerophysics than they do about guns.

(2) Check out a MUCH more serious risk - texting while driving. Do we here anybody screaming to ban cell phones...or cars. No. The solution is a little safety education and good law enforcement.

(3) Rare accidents happen, but this accident could have been avoided.
Pilots in the FFDO program are issued HK USPc .40 S&W pistols. Great guns.
HK USPs have 3 internal safeties and, short of gross mechanical failure, the only explanation for this was somebody couldn't keep his booger hook off the bang switch.
One of the Four Rules: Keep your finger off the trigger!
That's inexcusable, irresponsible, behavior and the pilot should lose his job.

I'd love to hear the black box audio on that.
Maybe it went something like:
*Shows gun to nav and co-pilot*
"I'm the only one in this cockpit professional enough to BOOM!...$%!!@#@$"

Jeshanah said...

"booger hook"? .... is that really necessary??

Hully said...

"is that really necessary??"

Yeah, cause sometimes they're tough to get too because they're really far up there...

Unknown said...

"Is that really necessary?"

I take it I just demonstrated my naivety? Does that mean something bad? Please say no.

I thought it just referred to your index finger (ya know for picking your nose - gross I know - but didn't think it was vulgar).

Unknown said...

My apologies to the unfortunate pilot. I just saw a photograph of the completely retarded holster the pilots are required to use.

Seriously??!! A padlock through the trigger guard!!??

The pilots are required to apply the lock when they leave the cockpit. So, it's a little more understandable how the unintentional discharge may have occurred.

TSA must have a bunch of ignorants running the FFDO program.

Jeshanah said...

I didn't think it was vulgar, just disgusting.

Jeshanah said...

John, gross.