Monday, March 17, 2008

"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors." -- Weldon Drew

We had a packed house for or first-ever Staff vs. Students Basketball Games Friday night at BBCS. Of course the staff won both games – 21-14 for the ladies and 64-57 for the men.

Mrs. H had a big game for the Lady Staffers. She led all scorers with 11 points, including a 3-pointer late in the game. The ladies’ game also included the pro debut of one Elizabeth Bauer, who wore number 24. Get it … Bauer … 24 …

Ahem.

I was able to play in the men’s game in spite of the medical difficulties of the past week. I felt good for most of the game. That is, until one of my students slammed into me as I went up for a fast-break layup and knocked me into some spectators. I just got back from the doctor’s office where they informed me that I have at least two dislocated ribs and possibly two broken ones. I have to go in for x-rays later this afternoon.

But I was able to make both of my free throws and finish the game. I tied Joe K. with team scoring honors with 19 points apiece despite playing hurt the final two and a half quarters.

I have included a couple pictures and a video. Sadly, I have no pictures or video from the men’s game because, well, it was my fault.


10 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice. Taking out spectators a la Shak is da bomb. Even more da bomb is the un-Shak-like playing while injured.

Jeshanah said...

Yup, that's my sis! =)

And how funny that Elisabeth was #24. haha! Thankfully she doesn't play dirty like Jack, or she would have been called for unsportsmanlike conduct!

Jeshanah said...

What exactly can they do with broken ribs? Anything? When Charles Ingalls had broken ribs, I think all Doc Baker could do was wrap him up so he couldn't bend over very easily... is that what they do nowadays?

Hope you feel better, again...

Hully said...

They don't wrap them anymore because that can create other problems. Outside of prescription painkillers :-D there really isn't anything they can do. But it's important to know if they are broken or not because, if they are, I need to avoid any kind of physical activity that might involve contact, e.g. basketball. I don't want to end up puncturing a lung. That would be bad.

Hully said...

BTW, if you are getting your medical advice from a TV show set in the 1800s, I really worry about the overall health and well-being of you and your family...

Just sayin' ;-)

"Where are the leeches, Jariah? I need to bleed Zion."

Elisabeth (Bauer) Holsapple said...

Yes - good times. :) I had a lot of fun! :)

Sorry to hear you got hurt John - what a bummer. Way to sacrafice for the team though. :)

Tom F. got hurt too - we thought his hand was broken; it was really swollen yesterday. He went to the Dr., but I'm not sure what the diagnosis was...

Yeah Jeshanah - I tried to hold back on the aggressive side of my nature - didn't want to scare the spectators being #24 and all... :)

Sharla said...

Like ANYONE could possibly hold back the aggressive side of elisabeth bouer's nature!

Sharla said...

bauer






sorry :)

Unknown said...

EA: "We're running out of time! ... Tell me where the ball is NOW or people will die!!! ... I will score 50 points for you coach - you have my word!"

BeccaHolsapple said...

Lol John! If I remember correctly Dr. Baker was against bleeding...he was quite ahead of his time, so of course we don't do that! :o)