Tuesday, October 31, 2006

I can't believe it has been seven years

October 31, 1999 was the worst day of my life as a racing fan. On the 10th lap of the Marlboro 500 at the California Speedway, Canadian driver Greg Moore died in a horrific crash. He was only 24.

Moore was one of the first drivers that I ever followed up through the ranks. I met him in Michigan during his rookie season in Champ Cars in 1996. His talent was obvious, as was his friendly demeanor.

There is no doubt in my mind that he would have gone on to be one of the all-time greats. We will never know…

1 comment:

Jeshanah said...

That was sad. I'm glad that you are too tall to be a racer, it seems pretty dangerous to me.

I turned twenty-four not long ago, and I think it's way too young to die.