Sunday, April 08, 2007

"COFF-EEEEE! YEAH BABY!"


It dawned on me this evening that I have yet to discuss on this blog a topic very near and dear to my heart.

I. Love. Coffee.

I’m not sure I would go so far as to call myself a “connoisseur.” I just know what I like and that I like it a lot. I try to buy the freshest beans I can and I grind them myself. I make lattes, hot and iced. Though usually in the interest of time I just drip-brew it.

My first real experience with coffee was at the former Rod’s Donut Shop in Spencerville back when I worked for my then future father-in-law’s construction company. Working outdoors in the winter will make a coffee drinker out of you in hurry. I drank coffee on-and-off over the years, until I discovered a wonderful little place called Starbucks and had my first grande mocha latte. I instantly became a full-blown addict.

For a while I was consuming it in mass quantities. But I’ve grown out of that stage to where now, I am down to one cup a day. (And by “cup” I mean “12-ounce mug.”) I also broke up with Starbucks and have started seeing Beaner’s.

Yeah, I know, it’s another chain. But Toledo isn’t exactly flush with great privately owned coffee shops. Trust me, if it was that’s where I’d be going.

I have also started buying Beaner’s beans. I used to brew Starbucks Espresso Roast beans. To me, the stronger the better. If my coffee could peal paint, I was happy man. I tried a couple different Beaner’s blends until I discovered their Mocha Java blend. It’s a very good combination of boldness and flavor. It’s very smooth and just hits the right note with me.

I still see Starbucks once in awhile and we’re still friends. But the spark just wasn’t there any more.

Man, now I can’t wait ’til morning.

40 comments:

Jeshanah said...

I personally could go for a white chocolate mocha latte!! (I love those things!) So far my favorite is from Starbucks, though when I was last in Ohio, I tried Beaners and thought it was pretty good, too.

I hate Seatles Best! If that's the best they can come up with... yuck!

Jeshanah said...

Seattle's

Sorry. =)

Israel said...

Beaners is the best! Especially Mexican ones like me.

Try to see if you can't get me some coasters or something so that I can put them in my beaner museum. (Seriously!)

I already have Mexican jumping beaners, Human beaners and Beaner Babies.

Sharla said...

I only like coffee when I am on my way to Chicago.

Sharla said...

I don't drink it that much.

Sharla said...

Israel,
Shan probably has her old Lima BEANS cheerleading outfit. Does that qualify for your museum??

Jeshanah said...

haha, I do! It's in my closet or in a tote.

Israel said...

Does it say "Beans" on it?

If it does it would be prominently displayed in a museum quality setting. Here's a small taste:

[IMG]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w311/azlawcat/chakramcollectionwideshot.jpg[/IMG]

Israel said...

oops try this:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w311/azlawcat/chakramcollectionwideshot.jpg

Israel said...

maybe this will work...

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w311/azlawcat/chakramcollectionwideshot.jpg

Israel said...

I give up...

Jeshanah said...

Yeah, it's navy blue and white, with 'Beans' written in crazy letters. I'll have to dig up a pic of it for ya. =)

Hully said...

Click here for Israel's picture.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on those white chocolate mocha's, Shan!! I had a really good one at Lazeza's a couple of weeks ago! So John, is the closest Beaners from Lima in Toledo? We'll have to go there next time we come to visit. Or....maybe we could just have you make us a latte,(if you think you could do it without bathing the kitchen in coffee!)haha =) We'll never let you forget that, will we!?!

Hully said...

Just like I'll never let you forget taking me out to dinner for my birthday...





... in September...




... of the next year.




;-) :-p

Hully said...

Off topic: I need Dana's email address, pro favor.

Fox said...

As a coffee addict myself, I say that it doesn't matter where you get your fix so long as you get it. I still see Starbucks whenever I can, but I now brew my own whenever I can. At this point in the term, I would prefer an I.V. drip, however, I am consoled with my automatic drip...for now.
Beaners...I gotta say...not as good as Starbucks... I think it's the atmosphere that gets me.

by the way,
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I am not a coffee drinker. But that will probably change the week before finals. Law school coffee is just not that good.

Anonymous said...

Oh and Good Luck Studying for Finals

Israel said...

Thanks John...

That photo is proof of the disastrous things that can happen when you let a nerd decorate his own home office. That is only half of one wall. Imagine that on all four walls covering all available space, and you'll get the idea....

Israel said...

Hey John did you notice the Ted William's Bobblehead you bought me on E-bay?

(Ted Williams, known as the Splendid Splinter was the greatest hitter that ever lived and he was half Mexican) Can you imagine how good he would have been if he was 100% Mexican!!!?? It boggles the mind!

Anyway now he is known as the Splendid Popsicle stick because after he died, his kids had him decapitated and had his head cryogenically frozen probably in anticipation of a future day when human remains can be auctioned of on e-bay.

I think his head is in Phoenix Arizona or nearabouts, which is a great place to be when you're dead.

Sharla said...

Israel,

You had mentioned my coming out to decorate your home one time. Now that I've seen inside your home, I don't believe I'll be able to help you. (there is no help for you) I'm afraid I don't do your, uhh, style, er, whatever you call that.

But it was nice of you to think of me. :)

Jeshanah said...

hahaha, mom. I agree, there is no help for Israel.... 's house. =)

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA, John. ;) You're right, I guess we're even!! Actually, it's called what makes for a good friendship.....good(and the not so good)memories!=)

Dana's email addy is [deleted, ed.]
He doesn't check it like everyday, but atleast 3 or 4 times a week probably. I'm sure he'd enjoy hearing from you!!

Hully said...

Israel, yeah, I spotted Teddy right away. Looking good.

Israel said...

Ummmm... That's not my whole house, that's one small room.

In the rest of the house the walls are almost as bare as the day we moved in over five years ago.

My unique style is quite simply called Neo-Uber-Beaner-Cool, Fantastic Plastic, Plush & Sport where Anything and Everything goes as long as Israel Thinks it's cool.

It's very popular with life-long batchelors, weirdos, shut-ins, computer nerds and people way off the bell curve who prefer plastic people to real people. It is even featured in a film called "The 40-year-old Virgin" which I do not recommend you see.

Israel said...

When will I get my Beaner's coasters? John, grab yourself some the next time you go in for a fix.

Hully said...

I'll get them to you as soon as I can. I've got a week and a half until finals, so I'm a little busy at the moment. But don't worry, it's on my to-do list.

Israel said...

OK, good luck on your finals!!

Jeshanah said...

Yeah, Good Luck, JohnnyBoy!!!! I know you'll do (like Tony the tiger would say it...)GGGRRRRRREEEAAATTT!!!

Sharla said...

Oh! The Neo-Uber-Beaner-Cool, Fantastic Plastic, Plush & Sport where Anything and Everything goes as long as Israel Thinks it's cool style. I am so embarressed for not recognising it right off. I must be getting rusty.
It is obviously not something I'm doing regularly around here, BUT if you'd like something a bit more traditonal in the rest of the house I'd be delighted to help in anyway I can. :)

Israel said...

Sharla, can you see if you can get me custody of Ted William's frozen head? I want to build an entire room around that motif...

Sharla said...

ROFL! Israel

I'll see what I can do. It sounds like a fascinating decorating job. Something tells me you would be the most interesting client I have ever had. :)

Jeshanah said...

and I thought having cockroaches in a person's house was bad... a frozen human head would be so much worse!

Sharla said...

oh, I dunno, at least the head wouldn't be crawling around!

Anonymous said...

YUUUUUUUUUCK!!! And that is all I have to say about that!!=}

Jeshanah said...

Yeah, this post's comments turned pretty disgusting in a surprisingly short amount of time.



Coffee is really good!!! Jess likes the Caramel Mocha Lattes the best, (as far as I know)I've tried them, but I am still more partial to the White Chocolate Mocha Lattes myself.

At home I don't usually drink coffee. (more of a 'social drinker' I guess...) In fact, I don't even own a coffee maker!! I prefer hot chocolate.

(There ya go, we're back on the coffee subject!)

Sharla said...

First time I was ever in a Starbucks was when I took Israel and Olga to Columbus (to the airport after Shan's wedding) and we went to Easton to kill a little time. I had always stayed out of Starbucks because 1. I didn't drink coffee and 2. in my mind they were some intimidating, foreign to me, expensive place designed for the sophisticated elite with money to burn who understood things like lattes and mochas and knew where to get in line, what to order, where to wait and where to sit. I knew full well I was none of these things. As soon as Israel saw it he said we had to go there. He was our guest so I had to go. I was so embaressed because I didn't know what ANY of it was, for all I knew, half of it was alcoholic! I had heard horror stories of things like "three dollars a cup!" I had to admit to him that I did not have a clue as to what to order and I was secretly worried about how I was going to pay for it and still have enough gas money to make it to Dayton (Israel's airport of choice) and clear back to Lima. (We had JUST had a wedding!) But of course I couldn't let him know THAT! He was our guest and he was USED to going into Starbucks and HAD money to burn. I felt exactly how he and all his neighbors see all of us here in the middle of the country.
I felt like I had just fallen off the proverbial turnip truck.
He was kind enough to just order something for me and gentlemanly enough to pay for it. I was relieved! And what ever he bought for me was actually kind of good!
Later on the way to Dayton, he was telling me how impressed he actually was with Ohio. (Thank goodness we had found a Starbucks!) He told me how he had imagined his baby brother's life would be way out in the sticks, away from civilization, surrounded by all of us ignorant dirt farmers.
Well, I had never felt that way at all about Ohio or about myself except for the occasional Starbucks type experience (like the first time going into a Tumbleweed or something) which was not nearly as bad. I know more about steaks than coffee. So, I spent the rest of the day trying to defend Ohio and appear as sophisticated as I could muster! I'm sure I didn't fool him. Oh well.
I am not sure if I even had any credit cards in those days, but I know I had never paid at the pump with one if I did. That was a newer thing in these parts back then. I got out of the car to go pay for the gas and Israel told me it was done! He had already paid for it right there while he was pumping it! Once again, I was impressed! LOL!
Now I have always traveled (in North America anyway) and read good books but to be really honest, I believe that day changed me. If Israel (or anyone else from CA) ever comes again, I won't be intimidated about going into a Starbucks. Hey! I might just own a store next door to it! :)

Israel said...

Cute story...

That's what I love about people from Ohio, so easily impressed.

And the story has a hapy ending as I stopped drinking my beloved Mocha Frappuchinos when I found out they had like 1000 calories each. That helped me lose 40 pounds.

They are good though...

Sharla said...

Starbucks is just down about a block from my store in Perrysburg and I've been there a few times with John and Jess. I recently took a prospective franchisee there and was, of course, completely comfortable. It is funny to remember when I thought it was a big deal. For one thing, after cancer, NOTHING else seems all that scary anymore. :)