Sunday, April 01, 2007

It's Opening Day!!

Tomorrow is Opening Day of the Major League Baseball season. (Yes, I know the Mets and the Cards are playing right now. But that doesn’t count.)

Opening Day is always one of the most exciting days of the year for me. It always carries with it the promise of a new opportunity. For all the majority of players, coaches, and fans who spent the past season saying, “Just wait ‘til next year,” next year is now.

But this Opening Day will be especially special for Cincinnati Reds rookie outfielder Josh Hamilton. If you haven’t heard his story, Hamilton was the No. 1 pick in the MLB draft coming straight out of high school in 1999. Scouts compared to players such as Mickey Mantle, Bo Jackson, and Larry Walker. He played a couple years in the minors and, after an injury sidelined him, fell into a world of drug addiction that nearly cost him everything.

He has now been clean since Oct. 2005. And he could possibly make his major league debut when the Reds host the Cubs on Monday afternoon at Great American Ballpark.

You can read a little more of Hamilton’s story here and here. Or you can catch a quick glimpse of his talent here.

Oh, and you can see one of my favorite Opening Day traditions here.

12 comments:

Israel said...

You know what else is exciting?

Trying to predict whether Ohio State will lose yet another Championship to Florida in the same year.

If Ohio State goes up by seven-zip right out of the gate, you know Florida will win again.

I really hope you guys don't get spanked again, cuz that would be really embarrasing...

I don't know who I should root against as both Florida and Ohio State ar both responsible for putting the fiasco that is little Georgie Bush in office.

I really wish they could both lose.

I guess I'll have to go for Ohio State since they don't have a Republican Bush Baby heading their state.

Hully said...

Apparently Israel's violin only plays the one note...

BTW, Charlie Crist is the gov of Fla., not Jeb Bush. But you knew that...

Anonymous said...

I hadn't seen that Abbott and Costello clip for a long time. It's amazing that it can still be so funny! I guess that's why it's a true classic!

On another note...GO Diamondbacks!!
























HAHAHA!! Just kidding! =) Now that I'm an Ohioan, I'll root for the Reds, of course!

Hully said...

It's three and a half minutes into the National Championship game and Joakim Noah is already winded and asking for a sub?!? What a wus.

Hully said...

Now Corey Brewer is rolling around on the ground like he just nailed the ACL/MCL/PCL trifecta, then returns to the game a minute later. So far Fla. is looking mighty soft. Talented, but soft.

Hully said...

Billy Packer: "This is a good move by Florida to go to the press with Conley on the bench." (said as OSU's David Lighty dribbles through traffic for an uncontested layup)

How is Packer still doing the Final Four? He has always been terrible.

Hully said...

Ohio State's guards have got to start attacking the basket. OSU has only shot four free throws the whole game, and is a paltry 2-of-14 from the 3-point line. Attacking the basket will create more free throw opportunities and create more open 3-point looks by drawing the defense in.

Hully said...

For the season, Ohio State is shooting 36.7 percent behind the arc. So far tonight they are 2-of-17 for 11.8 percent.

Hully said...

Did I mention the Reds won and Adam Dunn hit two home runs?

Israel said...

You can't be number one, number two if you can't make a three.

This is what I get 4 rooting for Ohio State, five guys who get deep-sixed.

Well at least they didn't go seven up before Florida 8 them up. Now I gotta see Florida dressed to the nines in their Championship gear and it's bye, bye Big 10 for Oden...

Israel said...

Crist is a Republican and former Bush appointee, so if you think Bush and his chronies aren't still running the show you probably believe Alberto Gonzalez is running the Justice Department in an entirely nonpartisan way and without any input from Bush...

Anonymous said...

well isreal you could have rooted for u of a but that would have just been really stupid