Tuesday, April 03, 2007

This, ladies and gents, is proper technique for fielding a ground ball

Much to my surprise, my pride and joy has decided to take up softball. I guess I’m not so much surprised that she wanted to play little league softball. What has been a surprise has been her level of interest.

She and I spent an hour fielding grounders, hitting real pitching, running the bases, and playing catch this past Saturday afternoon at Gomer Park. She would have kept practicing all day. But I was spent. She asked me on the way home if I thought she would ever be as good as Hannah (Rockhold, a friend of mine who plays on the Toledo softball team). I told her that if she practiced as much as Hannah, there was no reason she couldn't.

She had her first real practice on Monday and, thanks to a class cancellation, I was able to drive down to Lima to watch. It was such a surreal feeling seeing her practice in the same schoolyard I played little league in some 25-odd years ago.

The best part of it is that she is on the same team with my brother’s little girl. We discovered this afternoon that they both picked out the same glove. But one of them is right-handed and the other left, so they have a matching set.

To top it all off, her team is … wait for it … the Diamondbacks. What are the odds? (Technically, I know they’re 1-30. It’s an expression.)

I got some video too. But YouTube is being finicky and I want to go to bed. So I’ll try to post it later.

UPDATE: Here is a quick video from last night.


18 comments:

Jeshanah said...

I'm really excited about the fact that her team colors are purple and white! I think that's awesome!

Please make sure that you do post videos of some of her games and stuff online, because I (obviously) won't get to see the real thing, but I do really want to see her in action!!

I can't believe that Janessa is already old enough to play softball, my stars, where does the time go?! =)

I wish I could be there for some games, but, maybe next year.

BeccaHolsapple said...

I'm sure she will do great!

I wish we could come see her play also, but like Shan said it will probably have to wait until next year... I guess we'll have to content ourselves with videos :o)

Go Diamondbacks!

Jeshanah said...

She looks so cute!!! I think she likes being a sofball player, she really seems to be having a good time!!
Nice catch, Gracie!! Keep up the good work, kiddo! I love the video!!

Israel said...

By the way, this video is about the cutest thing ever, the little hop / twirls are priceless.

Sharla said...

Isn't she a little sweetie! She is so excited about the whole thing.


Go Diamondbacks!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Janessa!!!

I agree, the little hops and twirls are adorable. She really looks like she's having fun, which is what it's all about.

BeccaHolsapple said...

I let Brandon watch the video and he got very excited to see Janessa play ball. Let her know that I am sure he is going to want to play softball with her next time we come!

BeccaHolsapple said...

Isreal, did Christine write that comment under your name? :op

Jeshanah said...

Nah, he's just an old softie... =P

Sharla said...

Sarah S,

See. Israel and Zion really ARE brothers. That sweet comment he made about Ness is the real Israel. That is why we all love him even though he continually spouts liberal propaganda and left wing talking points and tells us all how stupid we are. He really is a nice guy and if you ever meet him in person you'll really like him, too. I blame California. :)

Hully said...

I give up.

Sharla said...

Not only that, these blogs are much more interesting when someone has a different perspective, don't you think?

Sharla said...

OOPS! Sorry John.

< Clears throat > Janessa's practice was cancelled today do to inclement weather. She did however practise yesterday out in the yard after school with her mom.
She is doing great! :)

Jeshanah said...

lol, John

Anonymous said...

I will try to take your word for it, Sharla! ;)

It doesn't look too good for softball practice at the moment!! Right now it's snowing like crazy....AAAAAAGH!!!!!! COME BACK SPRING!

Israel said...

Softball is fun!

Hee! Hee! Let's see John delete the Ol' Mother-in-law now for going off topic!

He better not if he knows what's good for him!

Sharla said...

Good ol' Israel has got that right!

Anonymous said...

It was a pleasure meeting your daughter.

She seems to enjoy playing softball.

Next time she comes to UT she has to bring a good book.