Sunday, September 10, 2006

Carpe diem, or something

I have to be honest; I can’t say that I have been giving law school 100 percent.

I won’t try to make excuses. The fact of the matter is that I have never had to give anything academic 100 percent. I am fully aware that law school is different. But this leopard is having a hard time changing his spots.

One of the biggest adjustments has been the absence of immediate deadlines. When I was writing for the paper and going to ONU, there were constant deadlines. Obviously a newspaper has deadlines everyday. And undergraduate studies are filled with papers and midterms and book reports and other misc. assignments, especially at a school like Northern, which is on quarters.

Now I find myself in a situation where I have no daily deadlines, no papers, and no book reports. Oh, and I have no job. So the only responsibilities I have are three classes with no exams for another 12 weeks.

Focus is an issue.

That said, for anyone who thinks nagging me might be an effective motivational tool, don’t bother. It will be highly counter-productive.

This is something I have to figure out on my own.

However, I think it is still early enough in the semester to get caught up and make a real effort at getting through the semester and finishing it off strong.

I only get one chance to get law school right. I don’t want to blow it.

10 comments:

Israel said...

Better than "Serenity Now"

I just got back from San Diego. Lemme tell you how the trip went.

When we got to the Sacramento Airport there was a power outage. No check in computers, no security checkpoints, and no air conditioning for an hour.

As I stood in seven-block-long line waiting to get through security and sweating profusely along with my two unhappy kids, my wife and my Nanny, I thought, "Well, at least I'm not a first year law student who has to live in a small apartment with his mother-in-law."

When I got to the check-in point and I was told that there would be further delays because I have been put on the Government Terrorist Watch List for some reason, I thought, "At least I'm not a first year law student who has to live in a small apartment with his mother-in-law."

When I busted my knuckles and began bleeding profusely trying to buckle my two-year-old's car seat into what turned out to be a airplane seat with a defective seat belt, I thought, "At least I'm not a first year law student who has to live in a small apartment with his mother-in-law."

When I was on the plane to San Diego enduring the cries of my two year old who kept complaining about his ears hurting, I thought, "At least I'm not a first year law student who has to live in a small apartment with his mother-in-law."

When I finally got to San Diego picked up the rental car and then had to return it because the idiots at Alamo hadn't put any gas in it, I thought, "At least I'm not a first year law student who has to live in a small apartment with his mother-in-law."

When I got to the hotel, tossed the key to the valet and accidently broke a very expensive Baccarat crystal chandlier because I tossed the key too high, I thought, "At least I'm not a first year law student who has to live in a small apartment with his mother-in-law."

When I had to give the valet a huge tip to keep him from calling the incident in, I thought, "At least I'm not a first year law student who has to live in a small apartment with his mother-in-law."

When my kid insisted that he didn't want to wear his "Pull Up diaper" and I let him because "It's always dry in the morning anyway" and he peed on the bed at the hotel I thought, "At least I'm not a first year law student who has to live in a small apartment with his mother-in-law."

When we had to transfer to the Marriott because our hotel ran out of rooms and even though we were in a $400 a night room on the 21st floor at the Marriott it sounded like a train was running through our room all night, I thought "At least I'm not a first year law student who has to live in a small apartment with his mother-in-law."

When we drove 45 minutes to Legoland Park with my two year old vomiting and crying all the way I thought, "At least I'm not a first year law student who has to live in a small apartment with his mother-in-law."

When we got to Legoland only to discover that it was closed because it was a Wednesday (who'da figured) I thought, "At least I'm not a first year law student who has to live in a small apartment with his mother-in-law."

So John, since you have inspired and motivated me, I will do the same for you.

Whenever you find yourself feeling sorry for yourself or lacking focus and motivation think, "At least I'm not on a fabulous San Diego vacation with my family." Then take that fabulous charger you're always talking about, find an orifice and plug it in.

"Voila!" -- instant focus and motivation.

Jeshanah said...

Sounds like a fun trip!!! I should have come, too!!

Hully said...

Sorry to hear your trip was such a disappointment.

Focus has always been an issue for me. I wouldn't go so far as to self diagnose A.D.D., but I tend to struggle with staying on task, especially when then the payoff is a long ways away. That's why the newspaper biz was such a good fit for me. At least I'm aware of it. (By the way, I'm not "feeling sorry for [my]self.")

Anywho... I have a worksheet I have to go through for my Legal Research and Writing class for 8:30 tomorrow morning. Enjoy the MNF doubleheader. Let me know if Lamont Jordan scores three TDs.

Israel said...

Hey I have the following if you're interested.

1992 Emmanuel's Con Law Commercial Outline (Con law hasn't changed much in the past 14 years despite Republican efforts to add an amendment everytime an election rolss around)

1992-1993 Emmanuel's Civ Pro Outline. Civ Pro has actually changed very little.

1993 Corporation's Flashcards set of 654. Doubt Corporations has changed very much either.

And even if you're so inclined you don't have to feel sorry for yourself, I'll feel sorry for you....

Israel said...

Father Guido Sarducci's 5 Minute Civ Pro and Con Law Primer.

On Justiciability:

Who = Standing to sue
When = Ripeness
What = Mootness

There are six Rules of Standing

Article 3 Creates Three Rules:

There must be

1) Injury
2) Causation
3) Addressability

The Courts have Created Three More

1) Assert Your Own Rights not a 3rd Parties
2) General Grievances
3) Zone of Interest

See how easy it is?

Hope that helps...

Hully said...

I'm not into Con Law yet. I'm taking Civ Pro, Contracts, and Legal Research and Writing. Per my advisor's recommendation, I'm trying to stay away from commercial outlines, flash cards etc. But thanks anyway.

Israel said...

Good job young Skywalker!

You have just passed the first hurdle in the Temptation of the 1-L, but you are not a Jedi yet.

Always listen to your advisor.

I never really used the outlines that much I just got them to see what the great mystery was about.

You could probably study them and not even go to class and still get a "C" but if you want an "A" you should do your own.

Hully said...

Thank you Master Yoda.

Hully said...

Ok, maybe I am kind of feeling sorry for myself right now...

Sharla said...

Gee, thanks guys.