Thursday, September 21, 2006

Quote of the Day

“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company, a church, a home.

“The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change the past. We cannot change that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude.

“I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you; we are in charge of our attitudes.”

-- Charles Swindoll

Bro. Paul LaFontaine read this quote as part of his message last night. He was preaching about “Chain-Saw Faith,” using the example of a tree-chopping contest between a big-burly guy with an axe and a 90-pound weakling with a chain saw. His text came from Exodus when the Israelites were coming into the promised land and the spies all said that they could not take the land because of the giants. Only Caleb spoke up to contradict those fears.

Bro. Branham said, “Your right mental attitude towards God’s Divine promise will bring any promise to pass. Now, maybe you don't believe that. You say, ‘Well, my faith is weak.’ I wouldn’t confess it. See? Don’t let the devil know that. Always say, ‘I’ve got good faith. I believe God with all my heart.’ See? Don’t testify nothing of the devil. … As long as you take God at His Word, then the Word will produce what It promised to do.”

I’ve heard all of this before. But it was especially relevant in light of everything I have been going through lately, a lot of which has not been posted on here. It was nice to have that reinforced.

That 90-pound weakling could look at the big burly guy and quake with fear. Or he could look at the tool that has been given him and have faith that he will prevail. God has given us a very powerful tool – His Word. And we should have – and profess – faith, not fear.

5 comments:

Sharla said...

John,

The more I get to know you the more I admire you. :)


Bro. Paul did have an excellent sermon last night. It is a blessing to be here for a while and get to attend their services.

Anonymous said...

Amen! I think that's the sermon I've been preaching to Jeshanah for the past however many months.

True Dat!

Israel

Hully said...

By the way... I did not intend this post for anyone in particular. I wasn't trying to single anyone out.

Anonymous said...

Nice disclaimer.

We'll make a lawyer out of you yet!

Israel aka "Man-Enough"

Anonymous said...

We all need to work on having an attitude of gratitude every day.

I think that, more than anything else is the difference between happiness and misery.

man-enough