Friday, September 22, 2006

Danny Glover is an idiot

If 10 years ago a communist dictator and known Hezbolah supporter came into this country and called Bill Clinton “the devil himself,” I would not have hugged him and licked his boots like Danny Glover did for Hugo Chavez on Thursday. Quite the contrary. Mel Gibson may have said he hates Jews while in a drunken stupor, but Glover has shown his hatred for Israel and America alike by his actions. It makes me sick.

61 comments:

Sharla said...

All the left-wing, America hating, disrepectful wackos make me sick.

The Bible tells us to respect those who have the rule over us. President Bill Clinton was not respectable but I hope we still showed respect for the office. The name calling and Bush bashing is completely out of control on the left. It shows the day we are living in. I am nearly 49 years old and I've never seen anything like it. It is an outrage. And now for the name callers to pretentd to be all affronted by the same type of comments now made by Chavez a month out from the election also makes me sick!

woman enough

Hully said...

It is one thing when an American citizen on American soil criticizes the president. It is another thing when a foreign leader comes onto U.S. soil, publicly insults the president, and then is embraced and hailed. There is a subtle, yet essential, difference between criticism and insult.

Jeshanah said...

I have no idea what you guys are all talking about because I haven't watched the news in a very long time, but it sounds bad!


Shan enough =)

Hully said...

Shan enough,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IoCmmm2UG0

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,214973,00.html

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=1484530

Sharla said...

I have no problem with criticizing any political figure, that is a big part of what America is all about. People of intelligence can generally be very critical of ideas without resorting to personal insults. It seems many on the left can't see or understand that subtle but essential difference anymore. Of course I recognise there are ignorant name callers on the right also, but the majority do seem to hail from the left side of the aisle.

Sharla said...

When one stoops to such levels, a man supposed to be very intelligent appears less so.

:)

Jeshanah said...

Okay, I watched and read those. That guy is mean, and he has no right to say things like that. It's ridiculous that Americans are supporting him instead of their own president. However, since I'm not that political, I won't get into it. I have more scrappin' to do!

Shan enough.

Israel said...

Glover is not an idiot.

He feels the way many Americans especially Black Americans feel about Bush especially after Katrina, where Chavez seemed to care more about them than their own President.

I wouldn't expect White folks to understand why he feels the way he does, but he isn't an idiot.

The Bible has nothing to do with it.
Were Germans under some Biblical mandate to respect Hitler?

I doubt it.

By the way, I love America.

I don't like Socialists or Commies or authoritarian Presidents with little respect for the Constitution or the Bill of Rights.

Unfortunately Bush and the right-wing wackos (including the Bible-thumping ones) are more of a threat to our way of life than Chavez or Fidel Castro will ever be.

Israel said...

And no, Republicans showed no respect for the office of the President when Clinton was in office.

Paying Paula Jones to pursue a frivolous lawsuit against a sitting president and trying to impeach him because he had an extramarital affair was a completely unprecedented new low in our political history, especially when many of the Republican ringleaders were having affairs of their own.

My favorite part was when Republican Patriot Paula Jones cashed in by posing naked for money in one of those nudie magazines while displaying the fake nose and fake other things she had that were paid for by other Republican patriots.

Now when the Republican leadership is being indicted right and left for corruption involving millions of dollars you don't hear a peep from the holier-than-thou Republican leadership. And they don't seem to care about sexual indiscretions when they involve members of their own party either.

It's the hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty that I find insulting.

By the way I think Bush and Chavez both act like idiots although I'd probably give Chavez the edge in raw intelligence.

I know some very intelligent people that know Danny Glover quite well and I've been told that he is quite intelligent and does wonderful charitable works in Africa and elsewhere.

Sharla said...

Israel

So you are more in support of Chavez than President Bush?



How very disturbing.

Sharla said...

If Chavez is such a smart and compassionate leader, his own country must be paradise. I'm surprised Glover and all his down-trodden friends don't want to move there.

Israel said...

Sharla,

I don't believe I ever said that I support Chavez.

I do however understand where he is coming from. Most of the world sees Bush as either evil or stupid, and I can't say that I blame them. Not even our allies respect Bush and he has brought it on himself.

Bush (through arrogance, stupidity or both) squandered an excellent opportunity to unite the world against terrorism after 911.

Bush has weakened the U.S. politically to such a point that tin-horn dictators can stand up and spit in our face with impunity.

We are so overextended fighting the war in Iraq that we can't respond to legitimate threats.

Bush has been a diplomatic disaster. His war in Iraq has accomplished nothing other than settling a score with his father's old adversary and destabilizing the region.

Why we are wasting our time trying to create a "democracy" in Iraq when those people hate us is beyond me. Do we think that any democratically elected regime will support the U.S.? They are more likely to be allied with Iran, who has been emboldened by the fact that Bush eliminated their greatest enemy when he took out Saddam.

Bush's diplomatic idiocy will result in more countries who will elect people like Chavez. Attacking Bush, a guy who isn't even popular in his own country is a good way to create political capital globally right now.

My the way, Chavez doesn't actually believe that Bush is Satan, it was a little tongue-and-check routine that didn't translate particularly well.

I don't think Bush is evil, I just think he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and is constantly blinded by an arrogant streak as wide as Texas.

Those two attributes make him arguably the worst president in the history of the U.S.

Israel said...

In Harlem, the crowd chanted in Spanish, "Chavez, Chavez, the people are with you," as he walked into the church dressed in his signature red shirt.

Would this have happened when Clinton, Bush Senior, Reagan, Carter or any of their predecessors were president.

I doubt it.

By the way, I would have never chanted something like this about Bush, but I completely understand why others would.

CHAVEZ DID GET ONE THING RIGHT:

NOAM CHOMSKY MAKES LOTS OF SENSE (Of course Republicans will never read his book or pay attention to what he says because he is widely regarded as one of the smartest people in the world and Republicans generally distrust intellectuals and educated pinheads.)

Israel said...

More news from heavily Republican Stockton California:

Our Republican Congressman Richard Pombo is in charge of the powerful house committee that governs the Department of Interior

(Remember him? He pays his wife $200,000 a year to stuff envelopes for his campaign and much of that money comes from Big Oil)

Well it turns out that big oil is getting a pretty good return on that investment. And although he is looking more and more like a pig in a mustache, Bush is still coming down to help him raise more money for his re-election.

Turns out that under his watch the Department of Interior has made a 1.3 billion dollar error in Big Oil's favor and surprise, surprise, were not going to try to get it back.

Also an investigation found that top department officials prevented Department of Interior auditors from going after another 30 million in unpaid taxes from Big Oil.

It's nice to have powerful friends.

A report delivered to congress last week concluded, "Simply stated, short of crime, anything goes in the highest levels of the Department of Interior."

So why are the oil company's raking in record profits during the Bush regime?

Now you know...

How much do you wanna bet that Pombo gets re-elected, even after being declared one of the most corrupt officials in power?

Why?

Because he's Republican.

Israel said...

POMBO FOR PRESIDENT!

The banner stretched across the entrance to the Crobar ­ a trendy New York nightclub ­read, "Welcome to the Pombo-Palooza". At the door, members of the Rockettes handed out cowboy hats to the A-list invited guests. Inside, a model clad in rhinestone hot pants and a cleavage-enhancing top that might have chastened a Hooters waitress rode a mechanical bull. On the stage, the Charlie Daniels Band cut loose with fiddle-driven Southern funk as lobbyists and lawyers, politicians and tycoons danced the two-step and drank iridescent blue martinis.

Such was the scene in 2003 at Congressman Rick Pombo's coming out party. The young legislator from Tracy, California had just been appointed the new chairman of the House Resources Committee. At 42, he was the youngest chairman on Capital Hill. Bush couldn't attend the hoedown but he sent a herogram congratulating the congressman he calls "Marlboro Man".

That night money flowed faster than champagne. Before Charlie Daniels had finished his first set, Pombo's campaign war chest had been fattened by more than $250,000, courtesy of an assortment of real estate barons, oil and mining company executives, timber lobbyists and casino operators. Many of these contributors would turn out to be the cream of lobbyist Jack Abramoff's clientele. (Abramoff now faces many years in prison for his corrupt dealings.) And that was just their opening bid. Over the next two and half years, Pombo's political accounts would be fattened by an additional $2 million from an ever-expanding retinue of lobbyists, real estate barons and corporate PACs.

Pombo's is an unlikely success story. He is a college drop-out from a dusty ranching town in California's Central Valley. He showed no particular flair for politics during his early days and, when given the chance, bankrupted the family dairy ranch. Politics was a last resort, and even in this arena Pombo's future seemed uncertain: he was not a particularly gifted public speaker, nor possessed of an [especially] engaging personality.

Israel said...

POMBO FOR PRESIDENT 2

Pombo likes to describe himself as a rancher. He shows up to congressional hearings in cowboy boots and a Stetson. He owns a ranch, but spends less time on it than Bush does clearing sagebrush in Crawford. Pombo did place photos of himself on his website constructing a pink barn for his children's pet pigs over the last Christmas break. Pombo used to sport a thin Brokeback Mountain moustache. These days he brandishes a manly goatee. The new growth was detected shortly after the movie premiered.

Western myths aside, the Pombo family didn't make their fortune selling milk from their small herd of dairy cows. They got rich by buying up ranchlands and subdividing them into ranchettes for Bay Area commuters. As a member of congress, Pombo pushed for freeway projects that caused the value of properties owned by his family to soar.

Some thought that young Richard might get a job selling real estate for his uncle, who owned one of the largest brokerages in the Central Valley. But Pombo never passed the real estate exam.

Politically, however, his uncle proved to be a huge help. The red and white Pombo real estate signs are ubiquitous across the congressional district. Thus, Rick Pombo, a tubby and slick-haired man of Portuguese descent, enjoyed huge name recognition before he ever considered running for office.

Pombo has told various stories about the event that prompted him to run for Congress. For years he claimed that he was enraged by plans to turn an abandoned railroad near his family ranch into a bicycle trail which -- he fumed -- would lead to the entire valley being designated a "viewshed" where development would be restricted. Later, Pombo said he ran for office because the family ranch had been designated "critical habitat" for the San Joaquin kit fox, the world's smallest wild canid and an endangered species.

Both stories are embellished to the point of fantasy. Pombo's ranch was never at risk from either action. The allegation about the kit fox driving his family from their homestead is particularly outlandish, since the feds have never designated critical habitat for the tiny vulpine. Real ranchers look kindly on the kit fox, since it feeds almost exclusively on rodents regarded as crop pests. In any event, the habitat designation wouldn't have restricted ranching operations but development. And, indeed, that's precisely what ticked off Pombo. He paid $5,137 into a regional conservation fund as an impact fee for houses he built on his "ranch". The houses went up; kit fox populations went down.

Israel said...

PART 3 MY FAVORITE

Back in the 90s, Pombo made rich sport of attacking Hillary Clinton for her role in the Travelgate affair. But it now turns out that Pombo' office has its own travel-related problems. Pombo's political Svengali is a man called Steven Ding, who has long served as his chief of staff. When Pombo landed the Resource Committee chair, he also made Ding chief staffer for the committee. Ding was double dipping, getting paid by both the committee and Pombo's office.

Ding lives in Stockton and travels back to California every week. The Resources Committee picks up the tab. From 2003 through 2004, Ding billed the committee $87,000 in commuter charges. Some of those visits may not have been to see Mrs. Ding. Even though he has two positions with Pombo, Ding has enough time to also hire himself out as a private consultant to corporations and lobbyists seeking his insider knowledge. Last year, Ding earned $57,000 in outside consulting fees. On four occasions, the House Ethics Committee has cited Ding for lowballing or failing entirely to report such outside remunerations.

Ding wasn't alone, though. He was traveling down a trail that was blazed by his boss. Each year Pombo's office spends nearly twice as much on travel as the offices of the adjacent congressional districts. The biggest freeloader is Pombo himself.

Last summer, Pombo took his family on a two-week vacation, touring the national parks in a rented RV. He sent the $5,000 bill to the Resources Committee. When Rep. Ellen Tauscher questioned the reimbursement, Pombo said he was doing research. And perhaps he was. A few weeks later after he returned from his grand tour, Pombo's office leaked a white paper to the Washington Times calling on the Bush administration to sell off a dozen national parks.


What about Pombo's wife, Annette, whose recipe for Apple-Walnut Crosscut Pie is the most popular page on the congressman's website? Surely, Annette's travel expenses shouldn't have been covered by the committee. It turns out that since 2001 Pombo has paid his wife and his brother at least $465,000 in consulting fees from his campaign fund.

Israel said...

AND THE THING THAT REALLY CHAPS MY HIDE IS THAT LIKE HIS BUDDY BUSH, POMBO IS A TOTAL AND COMPLETE ARROGANT IDIOT.

I'd rather be robbed blind by someone with a modicum of intelligence. It just makes me feel better than getting conned by someone who belongs in special ed.

Israel said...

Unfortunately that stuff doesn't make Republicans sick, because it doesn't involve sex.

Oh, and I have another pseudo-scientific theory for why people tend to get more Republican as they get older.

It turns out that as we age we lose an average of 50,000 brain cells a day -- which in my mind explains why those of us who don't have that many brain cells to begin with will probably be voting Republican in our Golden Years.

And I can't believe Sharla published her age (49) on the internet. I thought she was 34 or 35 at the most...

Hully said...

Chavez has done as much, if not more, than Bush to destabilize the Middle East. He is a huge financial supporter of Hezbollah and terror in general. I wouldn't be suprised at all if he was helping fund the terrorist insurgency in Iraq. He is the enemy and Glover, Bellefonte, etc. are giving him aid and comfort.

What political corruption in California has to do with this, I'm not sure. The left, when faced with the task of looking in the mirror, has mastered the art of deflection. They are not willing to admit their own shortcomings, but choose to change the discussion.

Chavez can't be that much brighter than Bush. Democracy in the Middle East has a better chance to succeed than Socialism does in South America. Socialism has never worked anywhere. Chavez can't be that sharp if he fails to see that. At least Bush is applying a political model that has worked, even if he has chosen a tough venue in which to attempt it.

Hully said...

Katrina blah blah blah George Bush hates black people blah blah blah Bible-thumpers blah blah blah Paula Jones blah blah blah hypocrisy blah blah blah Bush is stupid blah blah blah corruption blah blah blah Republicans are stupid blah blah blah...

Does that violin only play the one tune?

Israel said...

I thought you guys might wanna know why people are cheering for Chavez.

If you didn't know before, now you know.

And I wanted to share a few things in my back yard that are far more significant and make me just as sick as anything that Danny Glover has ever done.

Personally I don't care what Danny Glover does and you shouldn't either.

Republicans are always getting riled up about things that don't matter and meanwhile our country is getting sold to the highest bidder and our rights are being eviserated.

If this continues the possibility exists that one day anyone who diagrees with the Republican party could get declared a terrorist and be tortured and tried with no habeaus corpus or any right to examine the evidence against them.

What kind of America will we live in then? If we're not careful and diligent, Chavez won't destroy us, we'll destroy ourselves.

Israel said...

Blah blah blah, left wing wackos, blah blah Bush is great, blah blah, Bush is a genius, blah blah blah, God is Republican, blah blah blah Democrats hate America, blah blah blah Democrats are Terrorists, blah blah blah, God hates Democrats blah blah Democrats are Gay blah blah Too Many Mexicans blah blah...

I tried the Republican song, but I like my song better.

Hully said...

Meh, both songs are stupid.

Israel said...

Yeah, but at least my song doesn't cost my country trillions of dollars to hear and won't take our country from its biggest surplus ever, under Clinton, to its biggest deficit ever under Bush in less than six years.

Did I mention my father-in-law was on the board of directors at Chevron?

Unfortunately he died a few years too early or we'd be swimming in oil money right now thanks to Bush and Pombo.

Hully said...

Your song costs the taxpayers billions of dollars to fund vote-buying schemes disguised as "social programs" that only serve to enslave millions of Americans. The government has replaced the plantation owner. It's the slavery mentality. Just like when Moses brought the Israelites out of Egypt. He was taking them to a land flowing with milk and honey. Yet they continued to long for Egypt. Even though they were free, they still viewed themselves as slaves. That is what makes Socialists such as Chavez and Glover so dangerous. They want government to rule over the people, not the other way around.

You do make some valid criticisms of the Republican party. But the solution you offer is not the answer either. God is not a Republican. But he also most certainly not a Democrat. America was a lost cause long before Bush got his hands on it. It has been a lost cause since 1956 when it turned its back on God. (When I saw "America" in this context, I refer to its people, not its government.)

A Godly people will elect Godly leaders. Our government is lost because the people are lost. You cannot legislate morality, especially to an immoral nation.

Sharla said...

Left wing wackos is a phrase I'll let stand, but just because we don't agree with calling the president a moron is not the same as saying he is a genius. Did you hear us say Bush is a genius? Who says God is republican? That sounds sacriligious to me. Who said Democrats hate America? There are a lot of people out there who hate America and I'm sure some of them are democrats, but no one here is stereotyping all(or even most) democrats as hating America. That would be silly.
God hates democrats? Too many Mexicans? Where are you coming up with this stuff? Are any of us saying these things or are you just hearing them?
This is so interesting. I am using these last few brain cells that are hanging on here in my golden years to try to figure out how your mind works!
Noble cause? or excercise in futility?

Israel said...

I have heard every single one of those things come out of Republican mouths. (Except for the Bush is a Genius thing -- even Republicans aren't that deluded)

If you haven't, you don't know your party's platform that well.

((((As for the other thing, it's probably an exercise in futility...))))

Israel said...

There is a good documentary on Senator Barry Goldwater, the great Arizona Conservative and the father of the Conservative movement.

Goldwater was a real conservative, not one of these moral majority jihadists who claim to be conservatives but don't know the meaning of the word.

You guys should watch it, Barry Goldwater's stand on a lot of issues mirrored mine and if he ran for President today a lot of Republicans would be foaming at the mouth and saying that he was far too liberal.

Israel said...

Its on HBO

Sharla said...

I would love to see that but we don't get HBO in the apartment.
My dad was a big fan of Goldwater as I recall, I remember hearing the name quite a bit there for a while, but believe it or not, I was just a little girl when he was on the scene. I know it is hard for you young whipper snappers to believe that the aged were ever young, and with so few brain cells left for me to work with, I could of course be remembering everything all wrong, but I thnk my parents actually voted for him. That would place him in what era?...neanderthal?

Sharla said...

Since we can't see it, please tell us about it. I am very curious what a conservative could possibly say that you would agree with. I mean, why would he be saying "Bush is stupid." back in the sixties?

Sharla said...

Israel,

I am also now a bit concerned about your math skills as well as your ideaology. I had already given Jessica's birth year as 1976. It is very rare for a human female to give birth at age four or five. I was already at the ripe old age of eighteen when that blessed event occurred. I know of course that you meant to flatter me, especially since you'd just laid out your little brain cells theory!
I know when I've been insulted! < said in a very Lucy, (Charlie Brown's friend) voice. >

Hully said...

I don't want to speak for Israel, but I can give you one example of a Republican that Israel would agree with.

DYK (Did You Know) that Ronald Reagan proposed an open border policy between the U.S., Canada, and Mexico during his 1980 presidential run?

It ultimately led to 2.5 million illegal immigrants being granted amnesty in 1986 and NAFTA being pushed through by the Republican Congress and signed by Clinton in 1994. Yet most "modern" Republicans will try to tell you that you cannot support immigration and be a conservative. Hogwash.

Hully said...

I knew a little about Goldwater before. But after reading Israel's post I did a little more research into him and his views. And I have to say, the current Republican party is looking less and less like the Republican party that men such as Goldwater and Reagan stood for.

That's one of the main reasons I just can't see myself being Republican or Democrat anymore. Neither one of them has the best interest of the country in mind. They are consumed soley with the aquisition of power.

Hully said...

Back to NAFTA for a moment... Clinton likes to take credit for it, but if it had not been for the Democrat-controlled Congress, at the behest of the union leadership, NAFTA would havebeen enacted much sooner. It was not until the Gingrich Revolution and the Contract for America that is was pushed through.

Hully said...

And if Barry Goldwater was still alive today, he would tell you that Danny Glover is an idiot.

Hully said...

From
http://www.cato.org/dailys/06-24-04.html

---

In his farewell address to the nation in January 1989, Reagan beautifully wove his view of free trade and immigration into his vision of a free society: "I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and heart to get here." ---

Hully said...

As I heard Dennis Miller say the other day, "I don't care if you come into the country. Just please sign the guestbook on the way in."

Jeshanah said...

Hahaha, Mom. I was gonna say something about Israel's math skills, too, when he first said that he thought you were only 34 or 35, but I was afraid that the conversation might become about math if I did that and I hate math conversations. (I also figured that you would call me and say something like, "he was only playin' and just trying to flatter me, how come you're bein' so mean to Israel..." and it just wasn't worth it. I was going to point out that you couldn't possibly be only 34 or 35 when your YOUNGEST child was only days away from being 24!!

Sharla said...

Yes she is! Happy Birthday to you this Wednesday!
How shocking that you'd post your age on the internet! You must be losing braincells to do such a thing. lol

Sharla said...

And no, he was not trying to flatter me. Notice his little diatribe on older people with few braincells to start with leading into my age, which by the way is incorrect. I am still 48, not that it matters.
Since we all thought I wouldn't live to see 45 a few years ago, I am very thankful to be getting so close to 49. Lots of wonderful things have happened in my life since that time.
But he is just playing. And he probably thought I had so few braincells left that I would think he was flattering me! LOL!

Hully said...

So anyway, Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan...

Jeshanah said...

"Tear down that wall!!!"

Hully said...

"...this wall..." :-p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK30k2WTxY0

Jeshanah said...

yeah, yeah. I'm the one who gave that speech in D.C., don't be tellin' me I gave it wrong...

Sharla said...

I thought it was Al Gore, right after he invented the internet.

Israel said...

No, you have it wrong, Al Gore invented Global Warming.

And I thought you Republican geniuses were supposed to be experts on the "internets." (Bush always calls it "the internets," especially when he is asking profound questions like "What we have to ask ourselves is, is our children learning?")

Anybody smell sulphur?

Israel said...

How do you separate the men from the boys in the Republican Party?

Apparantly you don't.

Gives me great pleasure to report that Republican Congressman Mark Foley resigned Friday after it wsa discovered that he was using the internet to try get teen boys some as young as 16 to take their clothes off.

And this guy was hailed by Bush as part of a "SWAT team for kids" because he built his career on stopping sexual predators from pursuing kids. Maybe S.W.A.T. actually stands for Sexually Wants A Teen (Boy.)

Maybe he isn't the latest in a long string of Republican hypocrites, maybe he was just doing research...

The GOP is rotten to its sexually depraved core.

Israel said...

By the way, the Republican leadership (Speaker Dennis Hastert) knew that this guy was chasing little boys because one of their parents complained, but they kept their mouths shut about it.

Which shows that Republicans do believe in "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" as long as the pedophiles are Republican house members.

More disgusting than Danny Glover?

You decide.

Israel said...

Oh yeah, and did I forget to mention he was co-chair of the "Exploited Children Caucus" and he was also Republican's deputy majority whip?

The whip is the guy who makes sure everybody votes along Republican Party lines. So if Republicans start to show any semblance of original or individual thought, he "whips" them into voting along with all the other Republican retards.

Yep, pretty disgusting, dont'cha think?

Sharla said...

It is so sick and disgusting and disappointing that now I am going to change from republican to independent. I am serious. The fact that some other republicans were covering it up appalls me.
I will still vote for almost any republican over Hillary, but I no longer wish to be identified as one of them.

Hully said...

I don't think you are going to have too much trouble finding right-thinking Repunlicans who are appalled by this. What I also find disturbing is the righteous indignation coming from the Democrats, a party that prides itself in defending deviants of all sorts.

"Pot, Kettle. Kettle, Pot"

Israel said...

Defending deviants?

Do you have any evidence that Democrats are pro-pedophilia?

Or are you saying the Democrats are somehow to blame for the fact that two prominent Republicans who claimed to be cracking down on deviancy, while actually engaging in pedophilia?

Maybe you should run that line of reasoning by the Catholic Church so they could figure out how to blame the Protestants for all their troubles.

Hully said...

Where should I start?

Maybe I could start with the time the ACLU defended NAMBLA after the rape and murder of a 10-year-old boy in 1997.

Or maybe Gary Studds, the Massachusetts representative who seduced a 17-year-old boy yet continues to hold his seat in the House.

Heck, I could just mention the name "Barney Frank" and leave it at that.

Of course, then there is Bill Clinton, the guy who abused his power over an intern, cheated on his wife, then lied about it under oath. You remember him? The Dems rallied around him and all the others listed.

I could go on. The bottom line is this: sin does not discriminate between party lines. Neither party can claim any kind of moral high ground in this.

Unknown said...

"Barney Frank" eh? That's rich.
Nice little thread you have going here.

Israel said...

First Off:

The ACLU and the Democratic party are not one and the same and if they defended someone in a case I am sure it was more involved than the scarce facts you presented.

(And people do have a constitutional right to a vigorous defense, you know.)

As for Mr. Studd, did this seducer of the 17-year-old, get convicted of anything? Was this guy 17 years old and 11 months old? Did he get taken against his will? Why isn't the guy in jail, if it was as egregious as what Foley did?

I don't know anything about that case maybe you could enlighten me. Did he go on TV talk shows like Foley or the Seattle Mayor as a anti-explotation children's rights crusader? I doubt it.

And what did Barney Frank do? Do you have any evidence of him pursuing 16-year-olds?

I know he's gay, but did Barney marry a woman under false pretenses and pretend to be heterosexual like my Republican Congressional representative, Jim Kolbe? Or like Arriana's ex-hubby Huffington? Kolbe only admitted he was carrying on after he was forcibly outed? Barney isn't hiding anything as far as I can tell.

Bill Clinton? If you look at the DSM IV (The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual) for psychologists you will not find men who have adulterous relationships with (of-age) consenting females listed as deviants.


Good try, but very poor examples on your part. Unfortunately for you, you don't get to define the word "deviant" any way you like.

You have to admit that the level of hypocrisy is in the Republican party is unbelievable, unprecedented and has no other counterpart anywhere (except maybe in the Catholic Church.)

Do you actually think that Republican Speaker Dennis Hastert "forgot" that he was told Foley was sending nasty e-mails to little boys a few months ago? Of course not. Everytime a Republican screws up they cry Alzheimers. (Charleton Heston anyone?)

It's the hypocrisy that makes me sick. At least Danny Glover doesn't lie about what he believes. Right or wrong, he says what he means and he means what he says.

I can respect that even if I disagree with some of the things he says or does.

Israel said...

Sharla congrats on seeing the light and becoming a former Republican!

It's a good club to be in.

George Bush is in Stcokton today raising money for Pombo, my congressional representative who was voted one of the most corrupt men in Washington by almost every watchdog group out there. Despite a huge, huge, huge edge in money and fundraising he is two points behind in the Polls.

I still think Pombo will win though, because everywhere I look I'm surrounded by nothing but Republicans with double-digit IQs.

If I see Bush, I'll say "Hi!" and I won't say anything about smelling sulphur, no matter how much he stinks!

Hully said...

In no way am I defending Foley, Hastert, or anyone else who participated in any coverup. What they did is absolutely reprehensible. But for Democrats to claim the moral high ground is laughable at best. Neither side has any high ground in this.

Hully said...

The Washington Times nails it...

"Resign, Mr. Speaker"

The facts of the disgrace of Mark Foley, who was a Republican member of the House from a Florida district until he resigned last week, constitute a disgrace for every Republican member of Congress. Red flags emerged in late 2005, perhaps even earlier, in suggestive and wholly inappropriate e-mail messages to underage congressional pages. His aberrant, predatory -- and possibly criminal -- behavior was an open secret among the pages who were his prey. The evidence was strong enough long enough ago that the speaker should have relieved Mr. Foley of his committee responsibilities contingent on a full investigation to learn what had taken place, whether any laws had been violated and what action, up to and including prosecution, were warranted by the facts. This never happened.

Israel said...

Republicans have been claiming the moral high ground ever since they began their quest for Monica's blue dress.

That's my whole point.

They just got hoisted up by their own petard. Equating what Foley did to Clinton's affair totally diminishes Foley's criminal behavior and the Republican (probably criminal) response to that behavior.

John McCain had an affair, Rudi Guiliani had an affair, John McCain had an affair, Foley chased little boys and Republicans didn't care enough to get on their high horse and condemn this immoral behavior.

Yet they tried to crucify Clinton for having an affair and have flogged him for his lack of sexual morality ever since.

I don't believe it was the Republicans Solemn Patriotic duty to rummage around in the garbage dump in order to air Clinton's and Monica's sexual laundry.

Their little tryst had nothing to do with breaching the public trust. It was nothing other than lust and it was President and Ms. Clinton's business and no one elses.

To the Republicans and the Democrats:

1) I don't ask for lip service and platitudes. I ask for intellectual consistency.

2) I ask for integrity.

3) If you plan to occupy the moral high ground defend it, even against members of your own party.

4) If you really belive what you believe, then denounce immorality and let the political chips fall where they may.

Anything else is hypocrisy and that is all the Republicans have shown me over the last six years.