Friday, May 18, 2007

Immigration raw/good/new/same-old deal?

I'm much too tired to read up on it right now. I just saw the headline on Drudge. I'll post more in the morning.

At first glance, though, Nancy Pelosi says she has "serious concerns" and Mitt Romney says he "strongly opposes" it. So if both ends of the spectrum hate it, then it must not be too bad. But I'll wait to read up more on it before I toss out my two copper discs.

UPDATE: After looking over some of the provisions of the agreement, I have mixed feelings.

I like the fact that there is a provision for citizenship for the millions of illegal immigrants now here. Let’s face it, there is no way you are going to deport 12-million-plus people. It’s just not logistically feasible. And the social implications would be tremendous.

But the $5,000 fine may be a bit steep, especially on a migrant worker’s pay. It sounds to me like that was thrown in there for no other reason than to appease those who oppose amnesty.

Look, let’s face it – no one wants to reward people for breaking the law. But the problem isn’t the people breaking the law. It’s the people who created an unenforceable, unworkable immigration system that completely failed to account for the real world. Unfortunately, for its good points this bill appears to be more of the same.

A major flaw with the proposal is that it now strips family members of any priority status and creates a merit-based system that gives preference to skilled workers. In my opinion, family connections should be a No. 1 priority. Father and mother and children, brothers and sisters, should not be separated from each other. Period.

I do agree that it is necessary to secure our borders, both of them. The sovereignty of a nation depends on its ability to secure and protect its borders. A workable real-world based immigration system will make that job easier.

I’m just not convinced that the new agreement is going to do the trick. But I guess it can’t be any worse than the system we have in place now.

2 comments:

Sharla said...

It will be fine. I listened to O'Reilly last night. It is the best we can hope for. ;)






















(I love a comment like this, you know it just drives Israel nuts!)

Israel said...

O'Reilly is a pathological liar. He even lied and said he was a registered independent when public records clearly show that he's a Registered Republican.

This immigration bill is just a security blanket for White people who are scared of brown people.

It will accomplish nothing.

It's anti-Mexican bill. Mexicans don't have $5,000 and they can't afford to leave their families, go to Mexico and jump through those stupid hoops. Nothing will change.

Republicans don't mind other kinds of (non-brown) immigrants so much, they just want to keep Mexicans out. That's why they figure they'll charge 5 grand and why they'll make people leave their families and de-emphasize the importance of family ties.

And that's why it isn't going to work. But it will make people who are scared of Mexicans feel better for a while though.

Nice, try...

Boo!!