Usually this time of year – well, the past eight years anyway – I am busy writing my preview of the Indy 500 for the paper.
This year, I can tell you who is on Pole, and that’s about it.
As a kid, if I could have done anything in the world I wanted, I would have raced in the Indy 500. To me it was bigger than the World Series or the Super Bowl. I always dreamt of one day actually going to the race and sitting in the stands.
I was incredibly blessed to not only get to go to the race, but to be on the inside, to see the man behind the curtain, to meet childhood heroes, to experience the thrill of Indy firsthand.
I wasn’t driving. But it was the next best thing.
I remember Sam Hornish Jr.’s first year driving for Roger Penske in 2004. Much was expected of the linking of Hornish, a two-time series champion, with Indy’s winningest car owner.
But Hornish, who grew up and still lives in Northwest Ohio, got caught up in another driver’s crash just past the halfway point of the race and had to drop out of the field, ultimately sliding to 26th in the results.
Tim M., the reporter from the
There were probably 15 different print and TV reporters standing along the barricade. Sam, naturally, was very disappointed and wasn’t real keen on the idea of having to face a sea of reporters.
The watchdog then began to make her way down the barricade, looking at credentials and deciding who got in and who didn’t.
“No. No. No.
There Tim and I stood, with three or four other writers and the ESPN camera crew, talking to Sam while a dozen more reporters threw little temper tantrums outside the garage.
But Indy is more than just moments like that to me.
When I think about walking among the 33 cars all lined up on the front stretch of the track on race morning, I get chills. I can’t tell you why Indy has always had such an allure to me. It just does.
The race is in one week. The paper isn’t sending anyone this year. They can’t afford the expenses. And my summer financial aid hasn’t come in yet, so I can’t even buy a ticket. I’m stuck watching it on TV.
I am sick to my stomach.

52 comments:
My kids have a Choo Choo train that goes around and around in circles. Sometimes it goes too fast and it crashes.
It is more fun than the Indy 500.
Do you want me to send it to you along with a bottle of Pepto for the stomach sickness?
I have finally been reading that book you loaned me almost a year ago, about Alex Zanardi. It's actually a pretty interesting read, but boy am I glad you aren't a driver because every few chapters he is talking about some guy who he beat or who beat him and then a few years later, that guy died in an accident!! I just don't think that the thrill of it would be worth that kind of risk...
I just don't think that the thrill of it would be worth that kind of risk...
The thrill is, in part, a result of the risk.
My theory on White People, thrills and risks. (I'm running it past you White folk to see what you think.)
White people have so few real world obstacles to overcome and are exposed to so few real dangers that they have to create their own because they are bored out of their gourds.
You will probably never see Blacks and Mexicans risking life and limb climbing some dumb mountain "just because it's there."
Our lives are interesting enough as is.
But if you put a green card atop mount Everest there will be a thousand Mexicans there tomorrow, wearing nothing but huaraches and sarapes.
"If you take away the risk, you take away the reason I race." -- Ayrton Senna da Silva, Brazilian Formula One legend, killed in a crash during the San Marino Grand Prix on May 1, 1994.
Colombian Juan Pablo Montoya has raced, and won, in virtually every major racing series in the world. He is arguably the greatest talent of this generation. And he is routinely criticized by white drivers (amongst others) for taking excessive risk and driving too dangerously.
Of course, you did specify "Mexican" drivers. Maybe the Brazilians and Colombians just have more machismo than the Mexicans.
Depends on your definition of "machismo." I guess that given your definition, the most macho thing you can do is play russian roulette while jumping off a bridge into shark infested waters while wearing a suit made out of bloody meat.
People who commit suicide must be the most macho people in the world.
I think climbing Everest because you're a sherpa and it's your job is one thing. Taking stupid risks because you have a trust fund and you're bored is another.
I suspect most of these macho racin' guys do it because they either want to impress chicks, hicks or both...
I dunno about all that... but Zanardi is cool!!! The dude has no legs, and he jokes around about it!!!!!! That is my kind of guy!!! (not the leggless part... the seeing the humor in difficult situations part.) =)
LOL Shan!
I bet you say that about ALL the legless guys! ;)
I guess you can say that when it comes to advocating risk for the thrill of it, he doesn't have a leg to stand on.
Ba-dump!!
OK, that was bad...
Zanardi to do list:
1) Joke about having no legs (done)
2) Impress hick chicks from the sticks (done.)
3) Get race car with pre-installed cruise control.
4) Fall asleep watching the Indy 500.
5) Practice for potato sack races.
6) Try out for the part of R2D2 in the next Star Wars Flick.
7) Start "Stumpy" the new, hip brand of clothing for double amputees.
8) Get beat by a one-legged man in a rear-kicking contest.
"hick chicks from the sticks".... that better not be referring to ME, shorty!!!!
I like No. 8 :)
Jeshanah,
Of course he couldn't be referring to any of us as being from the sticks, we are from GOMERVILLE!!
I am not from Gomerville.... I'm from SPENCERVILLE!! There is a big difference!!!!
(That was sarcasm, in case you couldn't tell....)
"hick chicks from the sticks".... that better not be referring to ME, shorty!!!!
-------
You'd have to ask Zanardi, it's his list...
I doubt Alessandro Zanardi is concerned with impressing hick chicks from the sticks. I don't think there are too many of those near his home in Monaco - the one he shares with his wife of 11 years, Daniela, and their son, Nicolo.
Israel, I'm just going to wink at your ignorance with regards to all the comments you made about Zanardi. If you knew the man's story, I highly doubt you would say any of the things you did. I don't expect you to bother learning his story, nor will I waste my breath trying to tell it to you. Your previous history indicates no proclivity toward learning anything that might alter any preconceived delusions you might have.
Oh I'll admit my ignorance of all things Zanardi is wide and deep as the ocean and my preconceptions are vast as the farthest reaches of space.
All I know is:
1) He raced cars.
2) He has no legs.
3) He probably has a sense of humor AND since he jokes about having no legs, he probably wouldn't mind my jokes all that much, especially since some of them are kind of funny.
4) Since he is at home with his wife and kid in Monaco it's safe to say he's probably not all that offended by my post. (NO harm, no foul)
5) In fact since he is now probably very short, he's probably more offended by your horribly mean-spirited short jokes.
'nuff said...
You still haven't weighed in on why white people feel it's necessary to risk their lives climbing Everest.
Inquiring minds want to know.
I wanna know whether I should feel sorry for them when they freeze to death or fall in some deep crevice. (crevasse?)
I sorta felt sorry for Steve Irwin when he got killed by that stingray, but then there was another part of me which kept thinking the guy was in an idiot.
Irwin: "Now I'm gonna poke this dangerous, poisonous animal in the eye and see what happens....
OUCH!!! CRIKEY THAT HURTS!!!"
1) He raced cars.
Wrong. He races cars. He drives for BMW in the World Touring Car Championship, where he finished 11th in points last season and became the first double amputee in history to win a race in a major series.
2) He has no legs.
Wrong. He has prosthetic legs. And, in fact, he has used his racing engineering background to pioneer significant advances in prosthetic technology, improving life for amputees all around the world.
3) He probably has a sense of humor AND since he jokes about having no legs, he probably wouldn't mind my jokes all that much, especially since some of them are kind of funny.
Well, the level of humor might be up for some debate. But Alex is an incredibly nice guy and would probably offer a patronizing laugh so as not to hurt your feelings.
4) Since he is at home with his wife and kid in Monaco it's safe to say he's probably not all that offended by my post. (NO harm, no foul)
I'll give you this. Not a whole lot offends Alex.
5) In fact since he is now probably very short, he's probably more offended by your horribly mean-spirited short jokes.
Actually, he is now as much as two inches taller, depending on which set of legs he is using. He has designed different sets for daily use, racing, skiing, swimming, or whatever activities he participates in.
Couldn't tell you about mountain climbing. The allure of that one escapes me. Mountains look good in pictures. But that's about all the use I have for them.
Yeah, his jokes aren't quite like the ones you are making.... his was something like: I'm ordering my new legs, how tall do you think I should be this time?? -(said to Michael Andretti on the phone...) plus, it's kind of like black people making a black joke vs white people making a black joke. Cris Rock can get away with that whereas someone else, let's say, Jeff Foxworthy, can't.
Zanardi on Letterman, pt 1
Zanardi on Letterman, pt 2
(Total time approx. 16 mins.)
Re Jeshanah's theory about Chris Rock vs. Foxworthy, jokes, etc.
So now I can't make jokes about Ohioans, Republicans, White people, Women, fat, short, ugly or stupid people because I'm from Arizona, brilliant and a paragon of physical perfection?
Wrong!!
Just watch me...
"So now I can't make jokes about Ohioans, Republicans, White people, Women, fat, short, ugly or stupid people..."
Sure you can, some white people even tell black jokes. That wasn't the point I was making. The point I was making was that it's in bad taste. If you want to be that kind of person, then go right ahead and make your little jokes... (But don't mess with my buddy Alex again!!)=P
According to 'teasing in good form Jeshanah 101'... You would qualify to make fun of the fat, short, ugly or stupid people that you mentioned. =) hehe
Lol Shan. I was gonna get him on that one! Man, you stole my thunder. (I've taught you so well!)
Like, he could make lawyer jokes, no wait, everyone can make lawyer jokes!;)
We can all safely make poverty jokes and he can make rich jokes, no, that won't work, there aren't any rich jokes. bummer.
Oh well, he's got the whole mexican thing and all those short and ugly ones and if he could just see the humor he'd have all that leftist commie material...you know, one square of toilet tissue, SUVs destroying the planet...;)
I just watched Zanardi on Letterman. What a SWEETIE! :)
According to 'teasing in good form Jeshanah 101'... You would qualify to make fun of the fat, short, ugly or stupid people that you mentioned. =) hehe
--------
That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks Jeshanah, that means you're all fair game and some of you fall into more than one category. Oh Joy!
Lucky me!
How do you figure?? (Oh, that's right... you're the last one on my list, which makes you not get it...)
There are only two people in my family that you would be qualified to make fun of; Zion and my Dad. (Sorry you guys!!) But, since they rarely talk on blogs, I guess that wouldn't be much fun for you.
You said that we all fit into at least one category that you (according to Jeshanah 101) are allowed to make fun of... "fat, short, ugly or stupid people" I for one am extremely curious, which of those categories do you think we all fit into?!?! (tread carefully!!)
Oh, Becca is short, so I guess that is why you could make fun of her. (And "pretty soon she'll be fat again..." her own words, not mine!!)
There are plenty of drivers who are either black or Mexican as I'm sure John knows (Willy Ribbs, Wendell Scott, Adrian Fernandez and Mario Dominguez to name a few).
The real world difference is that while we all like cars, we're all attracted to different things:
White people:
Speed and Power
We like horsepower for two reasons, it means our vehicle will either haul a lot more, or haul less a lot faster. We also understand the concept of torque to weight ratios.
Black people:
Funky and Blingy
It doesn't have to be fast or powerful. It doesn't even need to LOOK fast or powerful. Give the average black guy a pimped out Hummer or Crown Vic with hydraulics and a DVD player and he's all set.
Mexican people:
Speed, Power, and Rear View Mirror Dongles
The difference in the speed and power category is that most Mexicans believe they can be achieved with either a muffler or a big rear wing. No wonder they aren't always speeding...top gear in the redline gets them right at the speed limit.
I don't know about Black people, maybe they like shiny things because for years White people made them work for free and so they wanna celebrate the fact that they can afford shiny spinning rimz.
MEXICAN CARS VS. WHITE CARS 101
Mexicans do it their way, not your way.
We are very secure in our masculinity. You guys wanna jack things up and go as fast as possible to show how manly you are. I'm not saying you're compensating for anything but it is highly suspicious.
So we'll go the opposite direction. We're perfectly happy jacking things down and cruising as slow as possible. (It saves gas, ese)
That's why white people don't like us, we won't assimilate and we do it our way.
We are also very proud of the fact that we're Mexican, so we advertise it every chance we get. MEXICAN Flags, license holders that say "American by birth, Mexican by the Grace of God," and huge stickers advetising Zacatecas or Michoacan or what have you. We know it drives you crazy and that's why we do it.
We take a car and turn it into a work of art. We can even make it dance. You take a car and turn it into a gas-guzzling, planet-destroying abomination.
You drive cars around and around in circles as fast as you can hoping to see a crash. You call that a "sport."
Our "sport" involves driving cars around and around picking up Chicas which is a far more efficient use of a vehicle. It also rarely causes one to lose both legs.
Is it any wonder are birth-rates are superior?
OUR BIRTHRATES - ;)
So we'll go the opposite direction. We're perfectly happy jacking things down and cruising as slow as possible. (It saves gas, ese)
Well I had to let out a great big laugh for how out of touch you are with your fellow hombres. Every honda civic owning mexican I've ever talked to thinks that his muffler gives him an extra 35HP and that as soon as he can afford a bigger spoiler he'll be 'schooling' those wimpy corvettes.
The difference is we actually know how to tune a car and we're not gullible enough to believe that you can build a performance car from wal-mart parts.
I could care less about Mexican flags and chorizo ads, they're barely noticeable when I'm blowing past your hot-rodding compadres who can barely make it to the gas station let alone the finish line.
Superior birth rates? How about superior nutrition rates? Most of us stop having kids when we can no longer afford to feed more than half of them.
Those guys could care less whether you blow by them. The truth is the spoilers are for your wimmens. The (spoilers) make us irresistible to them. Ask Jeshanah.
And yes, far superior birth rates.
That's why the vast majority of kindergardeners in California today are Mexican. And that's why the future is Mexican and in a few years you'll be a minority.
It's all about propagating your genes and being an evolutionarily successful organism. (Like my grandfather and his father before him who had over 40 kids each.)
You guys are dwindling when it comes to propagatin' so ewho is eating whose dust, amigo!
Sorry about the spellin' and punctuationiong...
Oh, yippee. A shouting match full of sweeping generalizations and stereotypes. *rollseyes*
It's all about propagating your genes and being an evolutionarily successful organism.
Yes, your people have truly found the meaning of life. Interesting that you arrived at the same conclusion as the animals.
The reason Cali has so many Mexican school kids is because it is the state which harbors the most illegals. Why should the Californians care? Many of them can afford to put their kids in nice private schools.
Oh, yippee. A shouting match full of sweeping generalizations and stereotypes. *rollseyes*
I thought it was in keeping with all the legless jokes and stereotypes. Feel free to lock us. ;)
I'm not shouting, I'm laughing! (at Razor)
Specifically at the Razor and his stereotypical Republican proclivities. You roll back the veneer and what do you see?
A scared little white man who knows very little about which he speaks...
My favorite kind!
By the way, for those of you who don't get it, I'm joking.
The Razor is dead serious...
Oh, I dunno. I doubt Roger is taking any of this too seriously either. He seems to have a pretty good sense of humor too.
And is anyone else picturing the cars in CARS during all of this?? I can hear their voices. I love it! :)
People are people. I'm sure there are some Mexicans who enjoy a fast car just like there are some white people who like ghetto cruisers. There are different 'classes' of people in every race. Stop with all the generalizations, people!!
Good post, Shan.
Thank you. It happens every now and then. =)
And yes Sharla you are quite right....ever post could have been followed with 'LOL!' for those unable to spot the sarcasm.
WE NEED EMOTICONS!!!!!!!
Post a Comment