Friday, August 18, 2006

Hurry up and wait

Today I stood in line ...
  • for the continental breakfast at the law school auditorium,
  • to pick up my registration packet,
  • to sign up for an appointment with the folks in financial aid,
  • to get my picture taken for the student directory,
  • to drop off the filled-out registration forms,
  • to pick up my parking pass,
  • to get my picture taken (again) for my student ID,
  • to pick up the student ID that I had just had my picture taken for,
  • to look at the law books in the bookstore,
  • to find my law books in the bookstore,
  • to find out that one of the books I needed is on back order,
  • to pay for the books I did find,
  • to look at the law books in the other bookstore,
  • to find my law books in the other bookstore,
  • to find out that the other bookstore also did not have the back-ordered book,
  • to pay for the books I did find,
  • to take the required tour of the law library,
  • to copy my assignments for Monday off of the bulletin board,
  • and, last but not least, to go to my financial aid appointment.
It was an exhausting day to say the least.

I am now $524 lighter in the pocketbook and I still need one more book. It could have been worse. At least I only have three classes to buy for. I was surprised to find out how many other students are in the transitional program, or, as we like to call it, the short-bus program.

I have a lot of work to do, so I that's all I'm going to say today. I can't wait to go home tomorrow and see everyone!

20 comments:

Jeshanah said...

I would just like to take this opportunity to remind you that you live in Toledo now, John. The sooner you get that through your head, the better off everyone will be! Toledo is your home. Say it to yourself over and over again, until you understand it and forget about your former family and friends. Even if all you ever do is wait in line the rest of your life, Toledo is better then Lima, and it is your home........

(Whew, it's nice to pass some of my frustration off onto you. I feel much better now.)

Sounds like you had a good day of standing in line. I did laundry today, it was a joy...

Sharla said...

ROFL Shanny

Israel said...

How many students in your law school?

We only had 150 students per class and hardly any lines.

What about UT? How big is that? U of A had about 35,000 total enrollment.

BeccaHolsapple said...

Shan you crack me up!

Hully said...

There are approx. 200 incoming students (full and part time). As far as the main campus, total enrollment is just a tick south of 20K.

Hully said...

It turns out roughly half of the incoming class is in the reduced workload transitional program.

We're going to need a bigger bus.

Jeshanah said...

(Using my best Elvis impersonating voice...) "Thank you, thank you very much..."

Israel said...

Jeshanah,

you must immediately cease & desist using my material.

Jeshanah said...

Your're Elvis?


THEN... HE IS ALIVE!

Hully said...

Shan, you're a real firecracker!

Jeshanah said...

Let me reiterate... "Thank you, thank you very much..."

Israel said...

No, Shanah I'm not Elvis...

The one singer that people have actually confused me for is Jerry Rivera. He's a very famous Puerto Rican salsa singer. (You can check google images although more recently I don't think we look alike at all.)

I got that confusion all the time when I was in Puerto Rico though, because I got a terrible haircut that looked just like the one he had in the "Cuenta Conmigo" album. (Shakira's new hit "Hips don't lie" extensively uses the music from one of his songs on that album.)

I once got stopped by a woman in San Jose who insisted I was Jerry Rivera. I had ask her "If I'm Jerry Rivera then what am I doing in San Jose driving a Ford Tempo?"

People also say I look like the ugliest actor in Hollywood, Benecio del Toro and like the (very gay) Mexican singer Juan Gabriel. Not very flattering-- but it could be worse, I could get mistaken for John Lafontaine.

Sharla said...

Bro. John La Fontaine is a dear. Do you know him? Granted, he is not much in the looks department, but with so much talent in his family, who needs looks! His youngest daughter, Sherri, is going to me my manager at Levis Commons. I am pretty proud to have a celeb working for me!

Sharla said...

woa! I just checked out that Jerry rivera. I don't remember you looking like that. I think I would've remembered!!

Sharla said...

Israel,

I didn't mean for that to saound mean. I'll give you this much, you look more like Jerry Rivera than Bro John LaFontaine.

Sharla said...

Ok, I checked out the other two. You are much better looking than Benicio del Toro, He is scary looking. Of the three , you definitely look like the gay guy.

Jeshanah said...

Aww, man, and I was about to break out my blue suede shoes and go follow you around like a groupie. Guess it's back to the drawing board for me...

Jeshanah said...

Yeah, Becca and I just looked at the three 'look alike' choices, and I agree with mom. You look the most like the gay guy. (sorry)

It's a shame that you don't look more like Jerry Rivera, though... =)

Israel said...

Well before Jerry started pumping iron and while I was still a law student, we actually did look very much alike even though I was in my twenties and I think he was only 18.

We've both changed, he became more of a hunk and I became more of a chunk. I got old and he still looks like a kid.

Actually the older I get, the more I look like my mom, I think. My wife says I look just like her except my "features are larger and more grotesque."

Sharla said...

Rofl Christine!