This column appeared in The Lima News on Aug. 2, 2006, my last day at the paper.
By JOHN S. HULLINGER
jhullinger@limanews.com
419-993-2088
One of my favorite movies of all time is Peter Weir’s “Dead Poets Society.”
Perhaps the most famous scene in that movie takes place when Robin Williams’ character, John Keating, huddles his students around a trophy case laden with pictures of former students and athletes at the school.
“They’re not that different from you, are they?” Keating asks. “Same haircuts. Full of hormones, just like you. Invincible, just like you feel. The world is their oyster. They believe they’re destined for great things, just like many of you, their eyes are full of hope, just like you.
“Did they wait until it was too late to make from their lives even one iota of what they were capable? Because, you see, gentlemen, these boys are now fertilizing daffodils. But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? — Carpe — hear it? — Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary.”
Today is my final day with The Lima News. In a couple weeks, I will start law school at the University of Toledo and my life as a sports writer will come to an end.
Knowing this day was coming, I thought a lot about what I wanted my parting shot to be. Did I want to thank everyone who made the past eight years so great? I do. But there aren’t enough column inches here to do a proper job of it.
Did I want to recount the many memorable games I’ve seen or interviews I’ve had? There were certainly plenty of both.
But I realized as I looked back on everything, the first thoughts that popped in my head weren’t the interview I did with my childhood hero Mario Andretti or of any of the various pro games I covered.
My first thoughts were of the countless high school athletes I have had the opportunity to watch over the past eight years. It is to them that I address this column.
More specifically, I address this to those still walking the halls of the local schools.
I first saw “Dead Poets Society” early in my junior year at Elida. Later that year, I had a chance to “seize the day” and passed it up.
Then Elida coach Jim Dally approached me in the hallway one day in the spring and asked me if I was interested in playing football my senior year. He needed a tight end and apparently thought I had the potential to fill that slot.
I may have had the potential — I’ll never know.
I had never played organized football. I was too chicken, I guess.
I had heard that two-a-days were brutal. And of course, with football there is always the risk of an injury. Plus, what if I dropped the game-winning pass? That would be humiliating and the coach might yell at me.
I’ll never know for sure. I try to live my life without regret. But not seizing that opportunity is one of the biggest regrets I have in my life.
It is in that context that I address those of you getting ready for the pending school year.
Tomorrow is the first day of high school football practice. (Or, if football isn’t your speed, most other fall sports start practice on Monday.)
Go.
Two-a-days will be brutal. You might get hurt. You might drop the game-winning pass. Your coach might yell at you.
But you have a chance to be a part of something bigger than yourself and to prove to yourself that you can do something that you don’t think you can.
You get one chance in your entire life to play high school football.
Tomorrow morning is that chance.
So if you are sitting on the fence, climb off and get your butt out to practice.
Participate. And do it with everything you have.
Make your lives extraordinary.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

20 comments:
nice article,
but you said "Butt!" he he he he...
That was a great article, very inspiring.
My white republican lady-like ears were only mildly offended by your choice of words, but I understand that you are playing to that motley crew of beer drinking sports fans who actually read your articles. Your mother and I are very happy that you at least didn't use the "a" word instead. That would have been quite shocking!
I would have used the "a" word instead because even the Bible says you should not covet thy neighbor's a**.
And that goes double for you San Franciscans out there.
(Look -- now you and your delicate sensibilities have me censoring the Bible now! And that's a Hellfireable offense!)
I hope you're happy because it's you're fault if I end up in H. E. Double-toothpicks for this.
sorry "your" fault, not "you're" fault. (I'm trying to set a good example for Zion.)
SEE WHAT I MEAN ABOUT SAN FRANCISCANS?
San Francisco Chronicle
Just which commandments are the 10 Commandments?
Don Lattin, Chronicle Religion Writer
Tuesday, August 26, 2003
The Ten Commandments monument in Alabama isn't the last word.
Let's say the Supreme Court of the United States allows the chief justice of the great state of Alabama to keep his 2-ton monument to the Ten Commandments in his office building in Montgomery.
Next question:
Which Ten Commandments?
You've got your Jewish Ten Commandments, your Catholic Ten Commandments, your Lutheran Ten Commandments, your Charlton Heston Ten Commandments, your King James Bible Ten Commandments, your New Revised Standard Version Ten Commandments, and they don't all agree as to which commandment is which -- or what they really mean.
Even the Bible contains two versions, one in Exodus 20:1-17 and a slightly different one in Deuteronomy 5:6-21.
There are, of course, various English translations of those ancient Hebrew texts.
Further complicating the commandments are the fact that neither Exodus nor Deuteronomy neatly number the no-nos from one to 10.
By some counts, there are actually Twenty-Nine Commandments, not Ten Commandments.
For example, the Alabama monument to "the laws of nature and of nature's God," uses the "thou shalt" of the King James Bible rather than the "you shall" of the New Revised Standard Version.
The monument in Montgomery slashes its version of the Tenth Commandment down to a mere four words:
Thou Shalt Not Covet.
What King James really says is a bit more specific:
"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor's."
Is that six commandments, one commandment, two commandments or the Tenth Commandment?
Different denominations use various numbering systems because they differ on what to include in the First and Tenth Commandments.
The Tenth Commandment for Jews and most Protestants is the entire "thou shalt not covet" passage. But Catholics and Lutherans list two "thou shalt not covet" commandments: one against coveting your neighbor's wife and one against coveting your neighbor's property, including his ass.
Then there is the question of what the commandments were meant to mean.
For example, the First Commandment that "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" indicates that it was OK to have gods other than Yahweh, so long as Yahweh was No. 1.
Monotheism came later.
"Thou shalt not commit adultery" is either commandment six or seven and originally only forbade sex with a married woman.
Married men were free to have sex with other females. That's because establishing paternity, not maintaining sexual purity, was the reason for that commandment.
Then there are the commandments in the next chapter of Exodus, which allow fathers to sell their daughters into slavery (21:7) and say that "whoever curses his father or his mother shall be put to death" (21:17).
Neither of those commandments is included among the Ten Commandments currently residing under the rotunda of the Alabama Supreme Court building.
E-mail Don Lattin at dlattin@sfchronicle.com.
That's why God sent a prophet.
By the way John, I don't belive football would have been kind to a 6 foot 8 first time player.
I played against one of those giant guys in Midget Football and I just kept on torturing him by firing out low and hitting him right in the middle of his shins every play until he was bloody, bruised and just gave up.
Because of his height there was no way he could fire out low enough or quickly enough to protect himself. I was not a great player, but I beat him out for a position on the line because I had spent years honing my technique and all he could do was fall down.
Later on because he was such a huge, enormous specimen, (The actually did not make socks big enough to to fit completely around his calves) he got a scholarship to play Division One football at the U of A. He was never any good and he ended up in jail.
So you'd probably be in Jail right now if you'd tried out for football. You's either be there, or making millions of dollars playing for the Cleveland Browns.
"You's either be there..."
What, are you Italian now?
that's a typo. I think the correct spelling is "youse."
That was a very good article, John. I think that is the first(and probably last) sports article I have ever read all the way through. Good job, it was actually interesting enough for me to read the whole thing without falling into a deep comatose sleep on my keyboard.
So, now that it's done, how do you feel about it?? (I'm trying to get a "dear diary" moment here...) If it's good, I might even use it for my book.... =)
John, I don't post very often, but I have to take a moment and say I am proud to have you as a brother-in-law.Your answers on all the blogs are right on and your article was very good!Kudos!
Shan,
How do I feel about it? I'm not adjusting well. I've been trying to keep busy all day and I keep thinking, "Well, maybe I could go back in for a little bit. I'm sure they could use my help."
I am going to miss working at the paper. I loved that job. But there just isn't enough money in it to support a family. Plus now I'm ready for another challenge.
As much as I miss the paper already, I'm that excited about law school. Once that starts up I'll probably forget all about the paper. Maybe. I know that I will have to work my bum-bum (I hope I don't offend any ears with that) off at school. But I think I'm ready.
Becca,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you're not holding that whole French-Canadien thing against me!
The Bible also has 6 references to "him that pisseth against the wall".
For those who think that is a bad word.
There's the proof.
1 Samuel 25:22
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
1 Samuel 25:21-23
1 Samuel 25:34
For in very deed, as the LORD God of Israel liveth, which hath kept me back from hurting thee, except thou hadst hasted and come to meet me, surely there had not been left unto Nabal by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
1 Samuel 25:33-35
1 Kings 14:10
Therefore, behold, I will bring evil upon the house of Jeroboam, and will cut off from Jeroboam him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel, and will take away the remnant of the house of Jeroboam, as a man taketh away dung, till it be all gone.
1 Kings 14:9-11 (in Context)
1 Kings 16:11
And it came to pass, when he began to reign, as soon as he sat on his throne, that he slew all the house of Baasha: he left him not one that pisseth against a wall, neither of his kinsfolks, nor of his friends.
1 Kings 16:10-12 (in Context)
1 Kings 21:21
Behold, I will bring evil upon thee, and will take away thy posterity, and will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel,
1 Kings 21:20-22 (in Context)
2 Kings 9:8
For the whole house of Ahab shall perish: and I will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel:
2 Kings 9:7-9 (in Context)
My father in law belonged to a very prestigious academic society whose motto was "Don't piss against the wind" in Latin.
They gave him a beautiful framed hand-drawn original painting of a Cherub pissing against the wind and splattering himself.
My Monster-in-law let me have it (I'd bless her soul if she had one) and I used the frame for something else.
I harbor warm feelings for Ozzy Osbourne because he visited the Alamo once and pissed against the wall.
Take that Davy Crockett!!
What he did to that bat was just wrong though..
What is wrong with you?
.... issues....
and you too Jim Bowie!!
And you too Daughters of the American Revolution!!
I lived in San Antonio and wrote for the newspaper there. I hate the fictionalization of the Alamo story.
Davey Crockett was surrounded by 17 dead Mexicans at the Alamo...
Yeah, Right! Total bunk.
And he killed himself a bear when he was only three.
And Paul Bunyan had a Giant Blue Ox.
Post a Comment