I am told that being a member of a student organization while in law school is an important tool in building a successful career. Student orgs help build lifelong friendships with your classmates and provide valuable networking opportunities with potential future employers.
Orientation begins on Wednesday at UT and on Friday we can start deciding what, if any, organizations we would like to be a part of.
I started doing a little research on the organizations available at UT. Initially, back when I first set up this blog, there were two that I was interested in, the Federalist Society and the Christian Legal Society. But now I am thinking of going a different direction.
I don’t think I am going to join the Federalist Society simply because it has more of a political bent to it and, after recent events, I have zero desire to be a part of any political organization.
As far as the Christian Legal Society, I discovered via its Web site that I would have to sign a statement of faith claiming that I believe God is “existent in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.”
Uhhhh, no.
Last night I started looking into the American Inns of Court. It is an organization based on a European system of mentorships between attorneys and judges and legal students. Its emphasis is on promoting professionalism and ethics in the legal community.
I really like the fact that, at first glance anyway, it appears to have no specific political agenda. Professionalism and ethics are very important to me, and I like the idea of an organization that advances those ideals, both of which are difficult to come by in politics.

6 comments:
At first glance, the name American Inns at Court, makes me think of a hotel. (might just be my background, I used to be part of the "Inn Croud"...)
Lame, I know, but the best I could come up with. Sue me.
Don't worry. I will. Just wait three years.
I'll have a good lawyer, you might not wanna mess with me!!
Good call on the Federalist Society and the Christian Legal Society. To a lot of folks, those just scream "right-wing whacko!"
Maybe they have some immigration law or poverty law or public interest law societies.
Or maybe a law school newpaper. I wouldn't get too involved in that society stuff first year.
If you study hard (You oldsters usually do) you'll have a chance at making Law Review and that'll impress potential employers more than anything else.
The young kids always spend a lot of time partying, smoking pot and getting drunk.
Especially the ones that have no idea why they are in law school. (Hey I gotta get an advanced degree and it's easier and shorter than an MD and its much shorter than a PhD.)
I think the statement of belief thing is pretty funny.
I guess they figured if they were getting infiltrated by Satanists or something requiring them to sign that statement would stop them right in their tracks.
Here is a list of the available oganizations:
http://law.utoledo.edu/students/organizations.htm
Post a Comment