... Diversity of Citizenship Jurisdiction -- the concept that allows federal courts to hear cases involving a state issue because the parties to the case are not citizens of the same state -- and the Well-Pleaded Complaint Rule. The latter, according to Prof. Richman, doesn't make sense, but is nonetheless the law.
As class was wrapping up, one of the students made a comment about the material being difficult. (I was thinking it, but wasn't going to say it.) Prof. Richman replied, "Just wait 'til we get going!"
My brain hurts. Maybe it's just because I'm a little rusty; I haven't been in a classroom since February. I'm just having a hard time getting into a routine. I am very much a creature of routine, and my day-to-day life has been turned upside-down the past month or so.
Right now I just keep thinking about teaching Janessa to ride her bike without the training wheels this summer. It took her awhile, but I kept telling her, "Keep peddling. You'll get the hang of it eventually. Just keep peddling, no matter what."
On the fun side, Monday a bunch of us are going to the Toledo Mud Hens/Columbus Clippers game. The Student Bar Association rented the left-field party deck. Hopefully I'll be able to sit and watch the game and keep score without a bunch of distractions. I'm kind of goofy that way I guess. Baseball is meant to be watched sober with a scorecard in one hand and a freshly sharpened pencil in the other.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Haha, "Just wait till we get going" reminded me of the little Sicilian guy on The Princess Bride! That guy cracks me up! If I were in your classroom when the prof. said that, I wouldn't have been able to stop myself from laughing, therefore, I too, would have had a headache!!!
I pay as much attention watching baseball as I did playing it, which is to say none at all.
I played right field for the Meola's Pizza Braves when I was a kid -- or was it left? (Where do they put the worst player on the team?) Only two balls were hit my way the whole year and both of those were in the parking lot, which was fun because I got to look under cars for the balls which I don't remember ever finding.
My nickname on the team was "Good Eye" because I just sat there and drew a walk every time I came up to bat because I would never swing. Those pitchers couldn't get the ball over the plate, hence my nickname "Good eye" which is what they yelled at me every time the umpire called "ball four."
I didn't swing because reading thousands of books had ruined my vision and I couldn't see the ball. No one ever noticed I was blind as a bat and I needed glasses.
Whenever my coach got on me about not swinging I would take a mighty swipe at the ball and miss by a mile. Then I would go back standing there with the bat on my shoulder.
I did get one hit all year when I swing and my bat accidently hit the ball. Imagine my surprise. I think that brought my batting average up to around .1000 what with all those walks I drew.
Anyway, I'm not much for baseball, although I like the hotdogs at Pac Bell /SBC/ATT Park and I do pay attention when Barry Bonds bats.
Otherwise my friend Harry who is a big Giants Fan would get mad because he's the one that gets me free tickets.
We also have a brand new Ball Park on the Waterfront in Stockton where the Ports play. It's the jewel of the downtown redevelopment project that Christine worked on. We have a New Arena too.
We'll be watching the Barnum and Bailey Circus at the new arena Saturday. We watched the Circus parade yesterday when the elephants walked of a ship at the port and paraded to the arena. The kids really liked the fact that a fire engine gave the elephants a soaking midway through the march and we got to watch them get a bath from across the street. There were Zebras and horses too in the parade too.
They say that the guy who wrote the "Casey at Bat" poem wrote it after watching a game in Stockton and one year they called the Stockton Ports the "Mudville Nine," some city back east is competing with Stockton for that claim to fame and the jockeying for position is really bitter. We have a better historical argument I think as the guy was covering Stockton Baseball and Published the poem in the San Francisco Chronicle back in 1860 or whenever.
Last weeks the Ports gave away a limited edition Bobblehead of the mighty Casey at Bat.
If anyone wants it let me know because I got two.
Nothing in this post should be misconstrued or in any way used to deny John a job in the future.
That is what you call an unedited stream-of-consciousness post.
It's an experiment. Let me know how you guys like it.
I loved it. Very wordy. I'm all about very wordy.
I actually found this comment quite charming. Your self depreciating humor is everybit as funny as your, shall we say,"know it all" style.
Also, I like the rabbit trails, nothing spices up a conversation like going off on a few rabbit trails.
It was lots of fun! :)
And, to be fair, it wasn't one of your comments that John thought might cost him a job, it was one of mine, which he was gentlemanly enough to quickly delete.
I don't always think of how something I say might be taken by others. I've got to work on that.
John
I had a neat young attorney in the stroe the other day. He talked to me while his wife and daughter shopped. He was just moving back to Lima after years in a big law firm in Columbus. He said he was missing too much of his daughter's life.
I told him about you. He said the nest 3 years are going to be really tough.
I guess what I'm saying is keep pedaling. It may not get that much easier for a while, but look how far you've come. We are all so proud of you and we know you can do it!
When you have finished, you will have more options than you've ever had before. Keep pedaling!
IT WON'T BE ALL THAT TOUGH
The first year is "harder" because you are just learning the ropes and because of all the pressures law students put on themselves. The herd instinct is very strong and people start freaking out because they see everybody else freaking out.
Everybody thinks there is some great secret to doing well. It's the "If I don't get in this study group, or buy this commercial outline I'm sunk " syndrome.
I avoided that by preparing my own outlines and staying away from study groups and from other people who were freaking each other out. And my first year grades exceeded my expectations and everyone elses.
I sat next to one guy who told me that I was going to flunk out because I talked too much and didn't take notes. After he found out I got an "A" in the class and he got a "B" he never talked to me again.
There is no secret to getting straight "A's." Just work hard and at the end of the year you'll either get the "A's" or you won't. Either way, you will get your degree because it is almost impossible to get a grade lower than a "C" in law school. Christine's favorite saying in law school was "C equals J.D." and it doesn't get any truer than that.
The best thing one can do is try not to stress about it too much.
And the second and third years are a lot easier. By then you know the drill and you know you can do it and you aren't frightened by the unknown.
IF YOU WANNA WORRY ABOUT SOMETHING, WORRY ABOUT THE BAR EXAM, BECAUSE PREPARING FOR THAT IS STRESSFUL AND DIFFICULT. YOU'RE GONNA BE IN FOR IT IN ANOTHER 3 1/2 YEARS!!
Post a Comment