Sunday, August 06, 2006

Life after The Lima News

Making the transition from the paper has been a major mental adjustment. I spent much of Thursday, the first day of the post-Lima News era, sitting around thinking, “Well, I could go in for a few hours. I’m sure they could use my help with something.” Especially after I heard about Cristiano da Matta’s accident. I had half a column written in my head when it looked like he might not make it.

They are going to hire my replacement this week. I am not privy to the details, but it looks like they have narrowed it down to two candidates. One is one of our part-timers. He is a really nice guy and gets along well with the rest of the staff. He has been working his keister (notice I didn’t say “butt”) off the past two years knowing that my position was going to be open eventually. He has definitely paid his dues.

However, they also got a résumé from a really strong candidate from another paper. He has more overall experience and upper management seems to be keen on him. He may be more qualified, but I really feel like the part-timer deserves the shot after everything he has done. Unfortunately, they aren’t going to ask me, so my opinion doesn’t count.

Either way, the sports department is a ship taking on a lot of water right now, what with my departure on Wednesday and the sports editor’s departure on Saturday. In the span of three days they went from a staff of four full-timers to a staff of two. Plus, if they give my job to the other guy, they run the risk of losing one of their hardest working part-timers.

And all of this is happening during the busiest time of the year for the sports department, the lead-up to the high school football season. Our department has won awards for our high school football season preview special section several years in a row. There are still some very talented people there, so I think they can do it again. But I think the people in the newsroom who are helping to pick up the slack are in for a rude surprise when they discover just how much work goes into it.

7 comments:

Israel said...

Breathe deeply...

and --

Let it go...

Hully said...

It's gone.

Israel said...

Good, because they are not paying you to worry about the Lima News Sports Section.

Hully said...

I'm not worrying, per se. It's more of a sense of amusement. But I do feel bad for the part-timer because I consider him a good friend.

Jeshanah said...

Let us know who gets it. If it's the other guy, we can write mean letters to the editor for you. (But since we don't subscribe or even live anywhere close to there anymore, they probably won't care about our opinions, but we'll do it if you want us to... just let us know.)

Hully said...

I would think organizing letter writing campaigns against one's former employer would certainly fall in the bridge-burning category.

Besides, I've already let it go.

Just ask Israel.

Israel said...

To Paraphrase Reagenheimer

"Mr. Gorbachev, burn down those bridges."

If you go through law school and end up back at the Lima News covering High School Football, I for one will be totally pisseth against the wall.