Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Wacky happenings in San Jose

I've been following Champ Car racing for the better part of two decades and I have never seen anything like what went down at the San Jose Grand Prix on Sunday.

THE PLAYERS:
Alex Tagliani
Tagliani drives for Team Australia (even though he's from Quebec). Team Australia is a good team, but it is not one of the best-funded teams in the series. The team has had a string of bad crashes this season that have left it with no spare cars. Any cars they crash now have to be sent back and basically glued together.

Paul Tracy
Tracy, from outside Toronto, drives for Forsythe Racing, one of the top teams in the series. Forsythe is well-funded and has plenty of spare cars and parts. Tracy is one of the most naturally gifted drivers in the history of the series. But he is also one of the biggest boneheads in the history of the series. He has written off countless cars with his over-aggression.

THE SCENE:
Lap 52, Turn 6
Tracy is running second, Tagliani fifth. Tracy overshoots the right-hander and rolls into the runoff area. He lights up the tires, spins the car back around and launches back out onto the track directly into the path of Tagliani, who has no chance to stop in time. The impact was hard enough to crack the tub of Tagliani’s car, meaning it will need major repairs before it will be raceable again.

THE CLIMAX:
TV version:
(Warning: language is a little coarse.)


What TV didn’t show you:

and…

5 comments:

Israel said...

cool!! If I had known a hockey game was gonna break out I might have gone. Those whacky Canadiens and their violence!!

Israel said...

Whacky wacky Canadiens!! I like how the guy kept his helmet on the whole time.

Israel said...

Team Australia should stop crashing into people. Is Mel Gibson one of their drivers or something? They need to watch where they are going and stop driving so fast in the streets of San Jose. I can't believe that Frenchy Canadien rear-ended that rich guy and then verbally and physically assaulted him.

As I see it the rich guy needs a good lawyer in San Jose who will sue Frenchy for Personal Injury involving a Motor Vehicle, Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress, Assault, Battery, Defamation, Tortious Interference with Walking down the Sidewalk and repeating "I have no more cars" over and over in an insulting Frenchy accident.

This post is dedicated to Frenchy Rebecca, whom I've never met. Those Canadiens (especially the Frenchies) keep coming over the border and driving fast and taking Mexican's jobs and marrying handsome Teutonic men that should be marrying Mexicans. It's a epidemic and an assualt on our wayu of life.

Hully said...

You can tell Tagliani is French-Canadien. The Canuck in him was ready to throw down. But the French in him had to retreat first, then when he returned, he kept his helmet on. (No offense Becca ;-) )

Hully said...

"Kiss kiss, smooch smooch."
"I'm sorry, Baby."
"Yeah, me too."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060801.FIGHT01/TPStory/TPSports/OtherSports/